sand filter and fine dirt

PoolCleanerMom

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 26, 2009
SF Bay Area (Lamorinda), CA
Pool water looks clear and blue until I start raking, vacuuming and brushing the plant debris and fine dirt off the bottom and sides of the pool. Did the overnight FC drop test yesterday and FC dropped from 6.0 to 5.5 so I don't think it's algae. Using liquid chlorine and had been using some tabs b/c we just resurfaced last year and had fresh low-CYA water but will be de-pucking now that CYA is around 40
Numbers from this a.m.:
FC 5.5
pH 7.6
TA 80
CH 340
CYA between 40 and 50

We have a Hayward 244S sand filter. Sand was changed about 3 years ago. Any tips on getting the dirt out? I saw a few other posts that mention using the garden hose to clear up channeling and stuff - could someone pls. describe that process in a bit more detail? Thanks!

Take the top of filter off. Gently move a hose down and around in the sand. This will break up any clumps and all the gunk will float up out of the top of the filter. Do this until the water seems mostly clean. Put the top back on.

Might be worth doing this "deep clean" every year or so.

If you are struggling to remove fine particles from the water, you could add a little pool DE through the skimmer into the filter to help.

Even better than DE would be a handfull of Fiber Clear added through the skimmer. I switched me DE filter over to Fiber Clear and the results are amazingly clear sparkling water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.