Brand new pool, but same as what I had...

skydiva44

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 18, 2009
Houston, Texas
I didn't find this website until my pool was in trouble 3 years ago. We got rid of the old and got a new exact same pool, only this time I want to start off correct. I just got it filled and then read your instructions on what to do, my question is, I bought the HTH Shock and Swim, is this the right thing to use for the first 4 days?

My fill water: PH 8.2
CYA 0
CH 0

Thanks again!

Why do you need to use anything special for the first 4 days?

That HTH is cal-hypo. So it is going to add FC and CH. I am guessing you were thinking of using dichlor to raise the CYA correct? If so, that HTH is not the correct stuff.

It is less complicated if you just stick to adding the stabilizer and chlorine separately.
You do need to get your pH down in the mid-7s as well.

What test kit are you using? Seems very abbreviated unless you just did not test everything.

I read on the start up page for temp. pool that you should use diclor - shock treatment that comes in small packs, saw the Shock and Swim at Wal-Mart thinking it was the same thing. I bought the wrong stuff I guess, I just went by the name and not ingredients...duh :oops: But it does say to use the Dichlor for the first 4 days. I have the tftestkit, I didn't check all the other stuff yet. Are you saying to skip that and go straight to Clorox and stabilizer? That's what I'd rather do, but I want to start of on the right foot with this project! :) Thanks!

Good to hear you have a good kit.

You can definitely skip the dichlor and just use bleach and stabilizer ... they add the same things to the pool, but probably easier to keep track of exactly how much CYA you are adding if you do it separately.

If you use the poolcalculator, you can figure out how much CYA (or dichlor) you can use to achieve your desired levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.