Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: free landscape design?

1. Back To Top    #1

free landscape design?

Anyone know of some good FREE landscape design software? Don't need anything REALLY fancy, just basic.... general dimensions, house, deck/patio/hardscape, beds, some plants and trees. ((Don't even need pool planning (again... ) I swear I'm gonna get a plastic pool on the deck, and dd looks like she is about to die every time I mention that!! ))

I would like to make a plan, and then gradually work on it, as opposed to going into home depot and ooooo, plants are on sale, and buying too many and just putting them in the ground willy-nilly, or worse, letting them die in the pot while trying to decide where to plant them!!

TIA!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

2. Back To Top    #2

Honestly the best way I've done this is to sketch on a piece of paper you house and lot. Then take it to a local nursery and work with the staff there to come up with a plan that you can work to. I also find that they have a more appropriate supply of plants than the big stores. For example, Home Depot will sell me a dogwood tree, in Texas? The local nursery would never do that.

For software you may take a look at Google Sketchup:

http://sketchup.google.com/

hope this helps,
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

3. Back To Top    #3
    Even Mermaids get spring fever!

Try Google's SketchUp. Free, and, it will work underwater...but only for "Queen" Mermaids 8)
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Thanks! Free is the operative word here... going to a nursery sounds a lot like "We will be glad to draw you up some plans for only $449.95..."

And I also realize about HD or other mega marts that sell any old plants, whether they will live in your area or not! And mislabeled plants...

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5
    Many times, a nursery will give you a plan for no charge.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

Not free, but close...I used a online version called "pland3d", I used it for our backyard, front yard, kitchen, etc. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for but you never know. I believe it is $15.95 for one month, at the time, I signed up for the year package as I knew how much work I had ahead. Below it the link to their website, along with a link to mine that has pictures of the plan3d drawings, just scroll down a few images and you will see the drawings.

http://www.plan3d.com/pages/home.aspx

http://web.mac.com/gunkel04/Site1/Bar.html

Greg
    41k pool, Pentair Intelliflo VS main pump, Jandy stealth 3hp water feature pump, Jandy stealth 3hp spa pump, Jandy LX 400 heater, Pentair 4000 DE filter, Jandy Aqualink RS controls, Jandy aquapure chlorine generator, 2 Pentair pool SAm lights, 1 Pentair SAl spa light. 4 Jandy deck jets, 1 Jandy sheer decent, Rico rock water fall.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use the old graph paper, you know, the kind from 8th grade. I use 2 squares=1foot.
    My whole side yard garden (12'x54') is done on pages taped
    together.
    To me it's just faster than messing with the computer.
    12' x 28' Doughboy, partially underground, 9100 gal. Hayward pump and sand filter, Barracuda Zippy pressure side cleaner.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here's a blog that lists some free software. I haven't tried any of them.

Free Landscape Software

His main site seems interesting also.

http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/

John

9. Back To Top    #9
    Thanks everyone! After messing around with sketchup, I decided that paper and pencil would indeed be better! All I ever managed to do with sketchup was make 2-dimensional shapes. Too high a learning curve for what I needed to accomplish!!

10. Back To Top    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by j4ydubs
    Here's a blog that lists some free software. I haven't tried any of them.

Free Landscape Software

His main site seems interesting also.

http://www.the-landscape-design-site.com/

John
    showoff.com looks promising.
    IG Liner
    SWG
    15000 Gallons