Pump Motor 'Frozen'

Athlon646464

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 21, 2010
Uxbridge, MA
This morning I shut off the motor to change the valve to the backwash position. When I turned the motor back on, all I got was a humming noise. I've tried it with the valve in all positions.

The motor felt hot to the touch, by the way.

I let it cool down for about 90 minutes and tried it again, but I still get the humming noise and it's still 'frozen'.

What should I do next?

A new capacitor may be in your future. It's a cylindrical black thing under the rear cap on the motor. The biggest thing under there.

First check that the impeller isn't jammed. Shut the power off and see if you can turn the impeller with your fingers through the pump basket.

If the cap is bad, it won't hold a charge, but short it out to be sure. If you have a multimeter you can test it once you have it unhooked and discharged, but they fail so often anymore it's probably worth getting a new one anyway.

I've been told by a local guy that I can use one with a higher rating than mine, which is 124-149 MFD. He says I should be fine at about 160-190 (I forget the exact numbers he gave me over the phone), as long as it is the same physical size.

And you say?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here you are........

pump1.jpg

pump2.jpg

Looks pretty clean. See those 4 big bolts that hold the motor and the first black flange to the pump basket body? You can undo those and remove the business end of the pump where you can inspect it and see if it will run (just a quick on and off test) when pulled out of the basket end. If it still buzzes and doesn't run, you have a motor problem.

Got it going!

I braved the rain and went out and took it apart. I did what Mainecoons & Bama Rambler suggested and put it back. Walaa!! It came back to life!!

Thank you all again for your help! I learned a lot here......

:party:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.