Small algae outbreak.

Ted Y

May 8, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
After firing my pool guy due to high CYA levels causing frequent algae outbreaks, I convinced my skeptical wife I could take care of it myself and save us money. I did a full drain and refill.

I found this site and got a TFTest kit. Today, my wife found three spots of fuzzy green algae right above the waterline on the pebble tech where the water wicks up the pebbles. I bought this was odd. Is it?

Truthfully, I probably haven't been as good about testing and adding chlorine as I should, about every other day. I already brushed the pool. I didn't test the chlorine before bringing up to shock level. I was never seeing any OCL drop.

Here are my current test results:

pH 7.5
FC 16.0
CC 0.0
TA 100 (was 150)
CH 260
CYA 40

I am using BBB method. The algae was about a total of 24 inches long along the waterline in those three spots combined. Thoughts? I will be doing the shock method in pool school. The water has always looked crystal clear, i have never shown more than 0.5 CC and have never seen any OCLT. I will post up results at dark and again in the morning.

We get a solid 12 hours of sunlight per day, 100+ air temps, water temps are 84-90 already, and it has been windy lately.

[center:g8zt0vd5]
file.php
[/center:g8zt0vd5]

As of 05:15 this morning, my Free Chlorine is still 15. Water is crystal clear. I think I got it killed before it got bad. Thanks everyone.

Can I assume that I can let the FC drift back down to normal our stay at shock level longer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.