Finding the flow curve

Puffin

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 23, 2010
Metro Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out what the flow curves are on the pump I have.

There is a metal decal on the impeller housing that reads:
Model Number: P2RA5E-124L
Code number: IL89S
STARITE INDUSTRIES.

I can't seem to find information on this particular pump. Apparently its been replaced with a new model.

Any help would be great.

Thank you. I guess I need to calculate the actual head of my pool, so I can get an accurate flow rate.

My filter clean is 15psi using that formula from the hydraulics page. It gives me 37.65 on the return side.

For the suction side, I'll go and get a vacuum gauge after work. I do have a question about that. The drain plug look like its maybe 1/2" Do the vacuum gauges have a 1/2" threaded ends? I just want to make sure I buy what I need so I can do this right.

There was an assertion that my equipment (filter and pump) are mismatched. Because the flow rate of the pump exceeds the maximum flow rate of the filter. When I attempted to discuss this point, I realized I don't have enough information about my system to be able to do that intelligently. The pool person was making assumptions (system head, and in turn pump flow rate, etc...) but since I didn't have anything more specific, I couldn't really argue.

I tried finding the flow curve on my own, but was having trouble. You folks here are very knowledgeable, I figured someone could point me in the right direction. As I understand it, I need to know my total head, so I can find the actual flow rate the pump is producing. Then I verify that things are within range. Also, I guess there is a bit of curiosity as well.

A side question. Does the filter need to be clean to get an accurate reading on the suction side?

Yes, the return side plumbing head affects flow rate which in turn affects suction head. But I suspect the flow rate will be more than the recommended 62 GPM unless there is a lot of suction head (> 15').

A simple fix is an impeller swap.

I'm trouble finding a vacuum gauge. The local auto parts places don't seem to have them. Even the kind that come on a break bleeder kits. I'll just order one online.

If it hasn't been said, thank you Mark and Jason. As always, your opinions and advice are both appreciated and valued.

Not sure if I should post on this thread or start a new one. If I need to start a new one let me know or split thing one off.

I've been wanting to replace my filter for awhile and this is kind of an excuse to do so. I don't know, something about using all that water to backwash was the filter just rubs me the wrong way. It convenient yes, but feels wasteful to me. (This is just my personal feeling, not trying to pick a fight or claim one filter is better than another.) I guess living in CA all those years rubbed off on me.

At any rate, I'd like to get a cartridge filter. Since mismatched components was the catalyst to get me looking, I was curious if is it possible to go too big? Do they have a minimum flow rate. I was looking at some of the documentation for the Pentair and Hayward models there doesn't seem to be minimums, there is a pressure loss vs flow chart but I don't think that's the same thing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your pool is about the same size as mine and I have a 420 sq-ft filter. I clean it once per season, usually in the spring. I prefer the cartridge filter for several reasons. First, as you pointed out, there is no back washing. Second, it has the lowest head loss of any filter so it helps the system have higher flow rates and higher efficiency. Third, if sized properly, it probably has the least amount of maintenance. And NO, they do not have minimum flow rates but neither does any other filter.

I don't get much of a PSI rise if any when I clean the filter but the filter is still pretty dirty. I probably could go two years between cleanings if I wanted to. Given your location, you may get a PSI rise by the time you clean the filter.

*UPDATE*
Just figured I'd give everyone an update. The new filter is installed. I got a Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420. (The Hayward and Pentair models are so similar, it didn't seem like it mattered which I chose). At any rate, the numbers

Clean Filter PSI 9
Vacuum Hg 10

Using the math from the hydraulics 101 page I get 35.09 feet of head. So that pump is producing quite a bit of GPM according to that chart (70+gpm). But the max flow rate is 150GPM and this is safely under that amount.

One thing of note, that filter made a surprising difference in the flow in the pool. Both the returns and skimmers seem to be moving water noticeably faster than before.

Thanks again for your help everyone.

I shouldn't be tagging onto an old thread at this late date, but I have the same question that Puffin asked mid-way through ( and a direct answer was not supplied ) --- Where do do find a vacuum gauge that fits the drain plug of the pump? I likewise could not find an online answer from the auto-parts stores, and the gauges at the industrial supply houses ( Grainger is the closest to my residence ) all connect with a 1/4" NPT male fitting. My drain plug measures out as 1/2" SAE with 18 NF threads. I would much prefer to make a flow-rate estimate from suction & pressure readings, than calculate it from my complex return plumbing.

No need to modify your plumbing. Most automotive vacuum gauges have hoses which you can use a 1/4" hose adapter like this:

Seafit-Spin-On-Installation-Fittings-Brass-Male-Pipe-To-Hose-Npt-14-Pipe-.jpg

Or you can get a vacuum gauge from eBay with a 1/4" fitting already on the gauge like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-2-Inch-300- ... 564e7d7650

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.