Need advice - Updated Test Results - Thanks!

Jun 10, 2012
Rochester, NY
Hi all. Came across this forum and really found a lot of useful knowledge.
I've included my pool specifics in my sig, but here they are as well since this is my first post.

Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
Aqua Plus Smarte System - Going BBB

I am totally a newbie when it comes to pools, didn't do too much research before hand, so now I'm diving in. The Aqua Plus Smarte System was installed, but reading a lot of the info here it looks like I may go the BBB route. I'll have to admit that so far, I haven't put anything in the pool, just have the aqua smarte plus Mizer Max pac (repleaces the BAC PAC) installed and the Mineral Activator. The mineral activator is supposed to last for 6 months and the Mizer Pacs between 2-3 weeks. I've kept the setting on 3 so far and my water is really clear. I've tested using some strips and the clorine level looks good. (I've seen most have recommended a good test kit)

If I go with BBB should I remove the mineral pac? I was debating on just using the Mizer Max Pacs for this season as they last 2-3 weeks and I'll need about 5-6 to get me through this year (upstate NY), but if I decide to switch to BBB will I have a problem once running the Mineral Pac for one season? The Mizer MaX pacs are strictly chlorine, my Brother in law has a similar system and he remove the chlorine pac, cut it in half and filled it with chlorine tabs and sealed it back up with rubber electrical tape and changes that about once a month and is good. I could do something similar...

I also have a solar cover. This is an above ground with no deck yet. I'm going to put one in next year. What would be the best way to remove the cover and store easily? I've seen the reels for rolling it up, not sure what others recommend.

That's enough for now, between being crazy busy at work and tons of landscaping to do around the pool/yard I'm trying to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,

Re: Pool installed 3 weeks ago - Could use some advice

You'll want to get your hands on one of the test kits suggested in pool school as soon as you can if you don't already have one. Test strips and pool store results are almost always inaccurate.

I would guess you wouldn't want the mineral pack, most likely just adding copper and possible other metals into the pool water that you don't want. Copper is what turns blond hair green :shock: Copper is a known algaecide, but it isn't needed if your fc levels are always in good shape.

As for the water being clear and your fc being where it should be. You might be fine like that for awhile, but those pucks in the chlorinator are adding either cya or calcium to your water. You don't want too much of either in your pool water... cya being the most important.

Knowing what your cya level is determines what your fc level needs to be.. as your cya level climbs, your need for additional chlorine does too.

As for the solar cover.. they are heavy and difficult to manuever. If you have the room and the resources, it might be a good idea considering making your deck large enough that it can sit to one end of the pool to reel it in. Wish we had done that with ours!

Suziqzer said:
You'll want to get your hands on one of the test kits suggested in pool school as soon as you can if you don't already have one. Test strips and pool store results are almost always inaccurate.

I would guess you wouldn't want the mineral pack, most likely just adding copper and possible other metals into the pool water that you don't want. Copper is what turns blond hair green :shock: Copper is a known algaecide, but it isn't needed if your fc levels are always in good shape.

As for the water being clear and your fc being where it should be. You might be fine like that for awhile, but those pucks in the chlorinator are adding either cya or calcium to your water. You don't want too much of either in your pool water... cya being the most important.

Knowing what your cya level is determines what your fc level needs to be.. as your cya level climbs, your need for additional chlorine does too.

As for the solar cover.. they are heavy and difficult to manuever. If you have the room and the resources, it might be a good idea considering making your deck large enough that it can sit to one end of the pool to reel it in. Wish we had done that with ours!

Thanks for the input! I'll be ordering a kit tonight. For the cover, I'm not sure I have the space for that large of a deck, but I'll keep it in mind.

Ok, I received my test kit. I have the TF-100.
I ran all the tests and here are the results:

FC- 5
CC- 0
pH- 7.2
TA- 120
CH- 120
CYA- 0

When I did the CYA test, the black dot only barely got blurry and that is when I filled the tube all the way to the top. Does that sound correct? I assumed that meant a zero reading.

I plugged all these values into the pool calculator and it shows I need to add borax, Calcuim Chloride and stabilizer.
Do I really want to do this? Should I run another series of tests?

Could use a little guidance. Thanks

Re: Pool installed 3 weeks ago - Updated Test Results - Advi

You're doing good.

Don't worry about the CH. You're fine in a vinyl pool.
The pH is ok. I'd just wait and adjust it as it gets about 7.6.
The TA is a little high but as you adjust the pH it will come down.
I'd add enough CYA to get to about 40 ppm and see how that works for you. Since the water got a little cloudy I'd say you have about 10 ppm or so now.

Bama Rambler said:
You're doing good.

Don't worry about the CH. You're fine in a vinyl pool.
The pH is ok. I'd just wait and adjust it as it gets about 7.6.
The TA is a little high but as you adjust the pH it will come down.
I'd add enough CYA to get to about 40 ppm and see how that works for you. Since the water got a little cloudy I'd say you have about 10 ppm or so now.

Thank you so much for the response.

I keep reading that you can't get rid of CYA without emptying water from the pool, so why would I want to raise it?
To raise it It looks like I need stabilizer. I may have some that came with the pool (Beginner's kit and such) Should I use what I have or buy something specific.

I'll likely switch to bleach once I use up the tablets I have.

Thanks again!

Stabilizer is the right thing. Your tablets (I assume they are trichlor) will raise CYA too, so only add enough stabilizer to bring the CYA level up part-way.

RobbieH said:
Stabilizer is the right thing. Your tablets (I assume they are trichlor) will raise CYA too, so only add enough stabilizer to bring the CYA level up part-way.

Thanks!!

Yes, I think they are Trichlor. I cut open and refilled the Mizer Max Pac with the 1" tabs of HTH tablets.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Added a package of stabilizer that came with the pool tonight and will be running the filter for 24 hours straight. It says not to test the CYA for a week, so I'll wait a week and see where we are.

Thanks

Ok, I ran another test and here are the results:

FC- 3.5
CC- .5
pH- 6.8
TA- 120
CH-
CYA- 25

I could definitely see the difference in the CYA test. I think I should just wait at this point as it's only been 3 days and the tricholor will also be adding CYA. I was worried about the Chlorine level being that it has been over 90 degrees the last 3 days, but I think it's fine.

I assume I should use the K-1000 that came inside the TF-100 to test pH as there isn't any other test in the kit.

Thanks for all your advice!

Right the K-1000 is the only pH test. Since yours is 6.8 (or lower) I'd raise it a little. Add the borax the Pool Calc recommends (2 boxes) and retest again in an hour to see if it's where it needs to be.

Bama Rambler said:
Right the K-1000 is the only pH test. Since yours is 6.8 (or lower) I'd raise it a little. Add the borax the Pool Calc recommends (2 boxes) and retest again in an hour to see if it's where it needs to be.

I bought the Borax, but didn't add it yet. I ran another test just now and this is what I have.

FC - 1.5
CC - 0.5
pH - 7.2

Looks like the pH came up by itself a little. I checked my Pac that holds the chlorine tabs last night and it was empty, so I refilled it but I didn't run the filter all night, so after this test I started running it. How soon should I retest by FC/CC, how long will it take for the "pucks" to start taking effect?

I'm debating on whether I should go buy some liquid chlorine/bleach as I don't want the FC to drop any lower.

Should I bother adding the borax at this point? A whole box seems like a lot and I'm supposed to add 2.
Thanks

Tested again 4-5 hours later with these results

FC - 2
CC - 1.5
pH - 7.2

Filter has been running with the chlorine tabs in there, but should I be concerned with the CC rising?
Maybe just wait and re-test tomorrow.
Hmmm..

OK, ran another full test tonight.

FC- 8
CC- .5
pH- 7.2
TA- 100

CYA- 20

Chlorine looks really high, but since it had dropped I replaced the pucks as detailed earlier and I changed the setting on the filter system from '3' to '5' to bring the chlorine up and now it looks like it is too high. I moved it back to 3 now. It was been in the 90's in the last week but in the low 80's for a high the past 2 days.

Any recommendations? I didn't add any borax as of yet, just new pucks.

Thanks!

How much trichlor have you added since the 18th? Just making sure the CYA result of 20 is still accurate.

One possible problem you have with your questions is that they're mixed in with your comments and due to the amount of traffic people tend to skim past threads when the questions don't stand out.

It doesn't look like you're having a specific problem other than your CYA being a little too low. If you are, please ask and we'll try to address it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.