Excited about getting pool, scared of leveling ground for it

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Finally decided to take the plunge into the world of pool ownership, going to start small with an Intex above ground pool, probably the 18ft x 48" or maybe the one slightly bigger, to see if a pool really does fit into our lives before we get a permanent one.

Reading online about installation, it says you must have the ground level and there are various how to's for doing it. What's the recommended way of doing this? Are there companies out there who do this for a few where it might be worth it to hire them as opposed to doing it myself (possibly incorrectly) and ruining the pool permanently? if there are, how much do you think that might cost?

Due to some health issues, I can only work outside in the sun for a few hours before needing a break, so not sure how painful/long leveling ground could be. I think the previous owners of our house had a pool, as there's a 220 plug on a pole in our backyard along one of the fences, assuming for a heavy duty pool filter? but the ground doesn't look totally level by it, and its all grass, which i suppose just means the pool was way in the past perhaps.

I dont know if i'm just overly worried, but i'd hate to buy a fairly decent pool then have it collapse and have to buy a new one. Not the greatest way to enter the realm of pool ownership :-D

Re: Excited about getting pool, scared of leveling ground fo

I personally will hire someone, or be sure to bribe plenty of friends with beer and food before takinf on a leveling project, or installing another large area of patio.

We rented a sod cutter and it was the best decision we made during the process. It cut the grass out wonderfully and helped break up the top layers of dirt.

If we hadn't beentrying to evel perfectly so that pavers would sit flush with the existing concrete the whole thing would have been much more simple!

Pool leveling is one of the most critical parts of installing your pool. If you do a search in the abg pool section, you will find many diy stories and see how much work it is.

Hubby and I hired a guy to help us install ours. We bought it used, so it didn't come with an "install" quote. We found a local guy that installs abg pools and asked if he would work with us on the install. Told him we were experienced diy's and would be there to assist in the entire process if he could give us a discount. He did. He brought the equipment for leveling and stamping and we were manpower assistance for everything else. We could have done it ourselves, but it certainly would have taken a lot longer!

He used a sod cutter, and then some heavier equipment due to the slope in our yard (didn't want to hand dig it all!), and a stamping machine (to pack the sand well).

The amount of time and effort required to properly level your pool site is all going to depend on how level it is now.

Most people here say you need to make sure and remove all the grass to avoid a stinky mess, (I don't know for sure, never built on top of grass before), from there the site should be as close to level as possible, the general consensus is better than 1" highest to lowest, and much closer if at all possible.

I know how the feeling about only being able to work in the sun and heat for short periods, been there done that.

If you can afford it I suggest having it done, BUT, request references from every bid before handing over a bunch of cash, some get close and try to BS you into believing that is close enough, avoid getting ripped off or taken advantage of.

Most importantly, "Listen" to the advice you get from the great people on this site, they have all been there, and speak from experience, collective experience that amounts to a whole bunch.

Thanks for the replies you two. That's what I'm afraid of, since the leveling is the most important, I want to do it right. and due to me not being able to put in a "full shift" outside like I used to be able to, wondering if its better to pay someone to do it rather than to do it myself. I'd say i'm average skill level in the handyman/diy area, but guess i'm most worried about doing it right and how much it would cost for me to do it right (taking much longer) or just paying a pro to do it right.

Thanks Samantha. I wonder how much a typical job like this would cost to have someone do it. I can really only put in like 2 hours at a time before i'm down for the count for the day. and I don't mind doing the work, just not sure how comparable the costs of me doing it myself vs. just hiring someone to do it all, might vary.

rj2222 said:
Thanks Samantha. I wonder how much a typical job like this would cost to have someone do it. I can really only put in like 2 hours at a time before i'm down for the count for the day. and I don't mind doing the work, just not sure how comparable the costs of me doing it myself vs. just hiring someone to do it all, might vary.

RJ,

I am not sure what it would cost to have a "pro" do the work, again it is going to depend on how level the ground is now, where you are located, the type of soil you have, ect, ect.

As for not being able to put in a full shift like you used to, I have asthma, allergy related COPD, so I know full well what it is like to not be able to work outdoors in the heat and humidity like I used to, (luckily my doctor has me on the proper meds and so far this year I have done rather well!).

As for comparing cost of DYI and hiring someone, again, it all depends on your situation, in our case, we have the equipment, drive, and desire to get it done ourselves, plus we work cheaper than the pros do, lol.

Also in our case, we wanted to get ours done and be swimming by the end of this month, but that was not cast in stone, if it takes longer then it takes longer, and from the looks of it, might be next spring before we get the pool and get it up and working, but doing it ourselves is saving tons of cash, (costing enough as it is).

You are the only one that can determine for certain which way is the best route, all we can do is give you options, suggestions, and information in which to make an informed decision.

Now when it comes time to take care of your new pool, these people CAN'T be beat, they can and WILL show you how to DIY and save time and money.

I dug 24 feet round and was about 8 inches between the low point and high point. Hand dug it all with a flat edged spade. I eyeballed the entire area and surprisingly when I laid out a level around, it was level everywhere.

Ground was about half topsoil (easy to dig) to the high side where the most was being dug being into the sandstone that is used to grade away from the house.

I worked about an hour per day. Used a rototiller to break up the sod (didn't see the recommendation of a sod cutter until I already started) and shoveled that away. I ran various strings across to measure how much I needed to dig and just started digging every evening. Took me a week and a half by myself to dig about 8 inches and 24 feet diameter.

I did have to wet the ground down with the hose to keep it from drying up. I would soak it down good after I was done digging for the night and by the next day's digging, the ground was just damp enough to help the spade cut through. I sliced through the dirt kind of sideways rather than digging more or less straight down.

I lied. I said it was level everywhere, but actually I had 1 small section that wasn't level. But the pool arrived the next day and in the excitement of starting to erect the pool, I had forgotten to shave that section down some more. I have 3 poles of my 22 foot Ultra Frame that is just about exactly an inch high.

Thanks everybody. I ordered a 18' round by 48" deep above ground pool. Hopefully by the time it arrives i have the area squared away. and i figure out where to plug the filter in, as i've heard the cords for those aren't very long and i have no clue if you can use a heavy duty extension cord if needed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I leveled mine myself, it took more than 2 hours though. I have a small tractor and used the bucket to get it near level. Then I set up the vertical supports and used a rented laser level to get it exact using cement blocks under the verticals. Lastly I dumped beach sand in and leveled that by hand plus a layer of foam board on top of the sand. The water line is still perfect after a few years of usage. I did have to fix a settling vertical that was bowing out.

As for the electrical, you need to check the codes for your area. My town lists all the pertinent grounding needs and how far a plug needs to be. It also needed to be in sealed piping 18"+ below the surface using separate 12 gauge wires. You want this done correctly for everyone's safety. A long power cord would not pass muster.

Thanks. I do have a 220 outlet in my back yard, but not sure how much it costs to convert that to a standard one, which i think the filter needs that comes with this pool, so maybe i can just do that.

It can be converted fairly easily. Going the other way is much harder. If you have to comply with the code you need to check with them to see how they suggest you do it.

A new breaker and a new receptacle and you should be ok. If you don't have a white wire in the existing feed you need to mark the one you convert to neutral with white tape at least at both ends.

I talked it over with the powers that be at my place, and looking at a bunch of our neighbors similar pools, looks like they might all just be sitting up on a little sand, and the posts for the wall sections (whatever they're truly called) aren't on pavers. I kept thinking it was almost mandatory to build an area for the pool then put river rock in between the pool and barrier, but looks like these intex pools might not need it. Really we just want this as a put it up for the summer then take it down every year type of pool, not to leave up all year round. and I think the most level land i have may be close to a regular outlet, so no electrician possibly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.