Sand Helper by OnGuard

Jun 11, 2012
Hi folks, I'm having exactly the same problem as a previous post (milky white / cloudy water after opening and shocking) Using my sand filter and running for nearly a week, 20 hours a day with little improvement. Chlorine still a little high (around 5) and pH slightly low (around 7.0), alkalinity is good (80) and Cyanuric Acid is also good (approx 50). I've added 2 and 1/2 quarts of clarifier (in stages) which seems to help a little bit. When I assembled the filter top, sand looked a little low, but still around the 2/3rd's mark recommended by manufacturer. Pool is 18x33 oval with an 8 foot deep "hopper' vinyl liner. Approx 21000 gallons. I have the vac head in the deepend (inverted), a tip a pool owner gave me which usually helps clear the water faster, but this year, not so much. After running the filter for nearly 6 days straight, I'm finally able to see the bottom of the shallow (4') end enough to vacuum up the dead algea.

My question is: I have some leftover "Sand Helper" by OnGuard which I purchased several years ago. Does anyone know if this is equivalent to adding the small amount of DE mentioned in previous posts? Instructions on the package say to only add approx 1.5 cups (for my size filter), wait for filter pressure to rise to manufactures recommended max, then backwash and repeat. Added the dose, but filter pressure remains steady for over an hour (no increase). Added a 1/2 cup more and still no change. Curious if anyone has previous experience with this product or any other suggestions. Not sure if this has a shelf life. Also, wondering if instead I should purchase more Clarifier and try that, or if there's a limit as to how much Clarifier you should use. Thanks in advance.

Yes, it is the same idea as DE, but it is cellulose based instead of using DE. It should last for many years on the shelf. I have no idea on quantity however.

If clarifier has been of little help, adding more isn't going to help significantly. There are certain kinds of things that clarifier helps with, and with them it clears everything up like magic. Otherwise it is a waste of money. If it was going to make a significant difference it would have done so already.

Welcome to TFP.

From your description it doesn't sound like you've shocked our way at all. With a CYA of 50 ppm your FC of 5 is barely normal. Not a little high.

You need to read the Pool School article on how to properly shock your pool. Your shock level ofr a CYA of 50 would be 20 ppm and it needs to be held at 20 ppm FC until the water is clear and you pass the OCLT (see my sig).

Now to directly answer your question. Sand helper claims to form a gel coating on top of the sand and traps down to 3 microns. I wouldn't use it.

More clarifier won't help until you have everything killed.

thanks for the advice guys, appreciate the direction and quick repsonses. seems the gist of them is: 1) filter helper is a marginal help, if any 2) using more clarifier is likely a waste of money 3) double check my chlorine levels (which I will absolutely do at a local pool store, instead of using my 'dip strips') 4) more shocking may be needed and lastly 5) read the Pool School article on how to properly shock my pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.