2 Speed pump recomendation

Apr 15, 2012
South Dakota
Can anyone recommend a good 2 speed pump to upgrade to? Electricity rates in my state are fairly low so I don't know if I would benefit much with a variable pump.

Would it be worth it just replacing the motor with a 2 speed? Found some 2 speed motors that would be a direct bolt on for a few hundred dollars.

It doesn't make any odd noises and the pro I had open the pool said it sounds fine. Figure if I don't have to cut into the plumbing I could just replace it myself.

Is 3/4HP enough for my pool size? I run it about 10-12 hours and it seems like it does a good job.

If you put a motor that is smaller than your current motor, you also should replace the impeller.

What pump and motor size do you have now?

Just realized that info may be in your signature which I can not see on my phone.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

A 3/4 hp is a good size for your pool as long as you don't have any water features that require more flow (which apparently you don't). You may have to go with a 1 hp 2-speed but if you do it'll be fine with the 3/4 hp impeller. If you wanted a little more flow you could change the impeller too but then you're getting into the cost of a new pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Installed the motor yesterday with some new gaskets and this morning the electricians provided a 230V line and it works like a champ. Thanks to everyone that offered their opinion.

I did go with the US Motors / Emerson 3/4HP 2 speed programmable. I thought it was very easy to swap out the old motor.
https://www.americanbestpoolsupply.com/detail/13495.htm

I will have to see if the factory default settings on the timer are going to be adequate to keep the pool properly clean.

keene3b07 said:
I have put in dozens of those motors, they are great. The wiring is a little different though so read the instructions

Would you say this is a much more reliable motor (2EZ Speed) than the imPower variable speed motor by Marathon Electric? I want to replace the single speed motor in my Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp pump with either a dual speed or v.s. motor like the imPower, but since that's a relatively new motor technology (permanent magnets and totally enclosed motor) I'm wondering if they'll hold up quite well to central FL's weather. Would really appreciate your help and recommendation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.