shock question

Jun 5, 2012
Hi, i read the "shock your pool" in pool school, but i'm still not understand all. For example my CYA is 40 and then my shock level will be 16, so i need to keep adding chlorine at 16 ppm and until my water is clean and CC less than 0.5. My question is before I put the shock to my pool, do i need to add FC to 16? or if any number (like 10, 12) is fine? Because the overnight test will perform on morning and the best time shoocking is at night. It will lose some FC during the morning and afternoon.

Also I bought the Hth super shock N swim shock, it is 1 lbs per 12000 water. If my pool is 27000 gallons, if i OK to use 3 lbs? or i need to use 2.25 lbs only? If i use more shock, did it damage my pool? My pool is vinyl liner.

Why not just use bleach to shock the pool? Bagged "shock" has a lot of extra stuff in it and is waaaay more expensive. Shocking with bleach is a lot more hauling jugs back and forth but it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

coffeegoddss said:
Why not just use bleach to shock the pool? Bagged "shock" has a lot of extra stuff in it and is waaaay more expensive. Shocking with bleach is a lot more hauling jugs back and forth but it's a lot cheaper in the long run.

^^^This^^^

Sorry, I read the question about FC levels, and I completely missed the part about the powder. I have the same philosophy about my pool. If it needs something, I add that chemical, and I don't want to have to factor in byproducts.

coffeegoddss said:

How to shock your pool to use bleach? The bleach or liquid chlorine will hold the chlorine, but Bagged "shock" just temporary chlorine and will gone later. Did i understand correctly?

All chlorine is temporary. The sun and contaminates in the water will constantly consume it. Shocking is a process and can take days or even weeks. You have to add chlorine constantly throughout the process depending on how fast its being consumed. Bagge "shock" products have a lot of additives that can cause problems down the road - number one being CYA. Its just easier AND cheaper to raise and keep your FC at shock levels using regular bleach.

kwing01 said:
coffeegoddss said:

How to shock your pool to use bleach? The bleach or liquid chlorine will hold the chlorine, but Bagged "shock" just temporary chlorine and will gone later. Did i understand correctly?
Chlorine by itself is a gas. A dangerous gas. So it has to be combined with something else to make it manageable. Bleach is NaOCl, when it breaks down it leaves behind salt. The various powdered forms will leave behind either CYA - stabilizer - or Calcium, Either one of those will cause problems when they build up over time. There's nothing wrong with using those powders if you are low on CYA or CH. But it's simpler and safer to add what you need individually so you have better control over what goes in your pool. That means liquid bleach. Also called liquid chlorine, sometimes even liquid shock!

No they both contain the same chlorine, but the powders also add either CYA or CH both of which are bad at high levels.

Liquid chlorine (bleach ) only adds chlorine and is generally cheaper.

Review some of the articles in Pool School if you do not understand this.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

coffeegoddss said:
All chlorine is temporary. The sun and contaminates in the water will constantly consume it. Shocking is a process and can take days or even weeks. You have to add chlorine constantly throughout the process depending on how fast its being consumed. Bagge "shock" products have a lot of additives that can cause problems down the road - number one being CYA. Its just easier AND cheaper to raise and keep your FC at shock levels using regular bleach.

Sorry if i understand correctly, it mean i only use bleach (liquid chlorine) to keep my pool to my shock level until my water is clean and CC less than 0.5. This is shock right? so i don't need another item "bagged shock" to do another shock?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine is chlorine, it just comes in different strengths and when packaged as a pool additive, usually w/ added by products such as CYA or calcium.

Stores sell "shock" products that many believe they can just dump in the pool once to solve their problems.. Not true. It's a process, not a product. Companies are makin lots of money on people's confusion.

Unless you are runnin a SWG, you don't want any more CYA in your pool. You didn't tell us your CH levels, so don' know if any additional calcium would be a problem for you.

Bagged "shock" is chlorine yes, but again w/additions u don't likely want or need in your pool... And it is much more expensive than liquid chlorine/bleach. When you buy bleach/chlorine make sure you get the plain old stuff without fragrance, etc and check for it's strength. At the grocery and hardware store it is usually 6%, at the pool store ask for liquid chlorine and it will be the same thing at 12%.

After you have you chlorine, plug the strength into the pool calculator to find out how much you need to add to get you at or just above shock level. You will need to check your FC levels often an keep your level maintained until your 1) water is clear 2) your CC is .5 or less 3) and you pass the overnight FC test. It may take awhile, but once you've passed those tests you shouldn't have any further cloudiness or trouble unless your FC gets too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.