A question about replacing pool water

May 4, 2012
Hello All,

I was browsing the forum and clicked a link which took me to another pool forum, where I found "One hundred reasons for a cloudy pool" and one of the reasons was: 13.Swimming pool water has not been replaced in 5 years or more.

Should pool water be replaced every five years?

russ.stevenson:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I would replace water only if your test results dictate a need to do so - never because of an arbitrary timetable. Two test items I would look at first are your CYA and CH levels. You need some of both items in your pool water, but too much of either can be problematic. If your CYA level is over 90, and/or your CH is over 400, then I would look at replacing a portion of your pool water. How much water should be replaced depends on what your test results are.

For more information, click the Pool Calculator link in my signature. The links in the left-most column will give you more information on each test item. In addition, at the bottom of the calculator, you can enter information about your pool (chlorine source, pool surface, etc.) and gallons (gallons is at the top of the calculator) to get target amounts for each item. Then, based on your test results, the calculator will tell you the % of water that should be replaced (if any).

If you do replace some water, don't forget to retest after the procedure and make any necessary adjustments.

Thanks for the replies. My numbers are good and my pool is now sparkling, thanks to you good folks. I still have a little ways to go, but i can see the bottom in the deep end and I took my first swim yesterday. I will post some pics as soon as my wife turns over the camera. This is my first pool and I must say it's kinda fun taking care of it. My wife thinks I'm obsessed.

We had some friends over a few weeks ago and David's wife mentioned that she could see a trail in the water from his sunblock (I do believe it was mentioned that he put too much on though). They're not pool owners so they have no clue how clear it has to be for that to happen. I've never even noticed it myself.

My Fiance mentions how clear it is, quite often and she's very happy. It's nice to have your work appreciated.

russ.stevenson said:
"One hundred reasons for a cloudy pool" and one of the reasons was: 13.Swimming pool water has not been replaced in 5 years or more.
I can't believe some of the things people will say to cover the fact that they don't know how to properly maintain their pools.

russ.stevenson said:
I was browsing the forum and clicked a link which took me to another pool forum, where I found "One hundred reasons for a cloudy pool" and one of the reasons was: 13.Swimming pool water has not been replaced in 5 years or more.
I assume that was off of the "poolsolutions" site? If it is, that is Ben Powell's site, who the poolforum.com where the BBB method developed (I think). I read that list as kind of a catchall/brainstorming list. I am guessing here, but I wonder if Ben included that one in reference to high cya concentrations in pools that do an occasional temporary "shock" using dichlor (or some other lower usage of a cya adding chlorination method). Another guess, is due to occasional temporary "shock" using cal-hypo, therefore slow build up of calcium in a pool. Thus emptying such a pool occasionally would "fix" or reset the concentration of calcium/cya to 0.

With that said, I would echo all of the comments above...no need for water replacement unless is warrented due to high concentrations of calcium hardness or cya.

My ex (good terms) comes over to swim fairly often, and her running joke/compliment, especially when other people are around, is to look at the pool and go,

"Is there even water in it?"

"Yes, it's always filled up Meg."

"Oh ok, I couldn't tell, it's so clean! ;) "

And I smirk, and she grins, and someone usually asks me what I'm using...

LOL, good times!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.