New Sand Filter and leaking fittings UGH

May 21, 2012
York Pennsylvania
Just installed my new Hayward S244t and for the life of me, I can not get the fittings to completely seal. One is a drip every 30 sec, and the other takes about 3 min per drop. Yes I know its minimal, and it evaporates fast, but I can not let it leak...will drive me crazy.

I started with white Teflon tape, leaked bad!!! Then I bought the Pink heavy Teflon tape. Still leaked. I re-wrapped the fittings like crazy and almost got it, but it is still leaking. Why are these so hard to seal? Its not like im new at pipe fitting...been doing it my whole life, but this one has me baffled.

So...has anyone used the liquid Teflon pipe dope? I am also interested in any ideas... Thanks All

PS If i missed this in a topic already just point me the way please...I could not find anything in the search.

You're probably not going to like this answer, but can you leave it for a day or two and see if the leaking stops? Sometimes new connections just need a liitle bit of time to fully seal. A little bit of calcium deposit or other mineral many times wil make those slow leaks stop. I'd leave it for tonight and see what tomorrow brings.

We had a couple of places that weren't sealing well either. My husband works with a pipe fitter who also has a pool and he asked him about it. He said to use teflon tape, then a layer of liquid teflon and repeat, then screw the pieces together. Worked great for us.

Hubby has always let small leaks go for a few days like suggested, but it wasn't working last time... so the double teflon trick was our answer.

Hope that helps :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.