How long should it run?

May 23, 2010
West MI
My pool is roughly 27k gallons. I have a 1.75hp pump/filter. I recently added a Rainbow 320 and have it on the high flow setting. I am curious to know if there is a formula to determine how long my pool should run to ensure adequate chlorination. After about 2 hours on the phone with tech services I found that my chlorinator required me to run the pool 14-16 hrs a day. I hope the 320 doesn't require that much.
Thanks in advance.

Here is a Pool School article on determining pump run time:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time

Of course, I recommend running a full series of tests in order for us to provide the most accurate advice. At a minimum, FC, TC, pH, CYA.

What is your primary source of chlorination? Do you plan to use pucks in the Rainbow 320? If so, most pucks contain trichlor which will raise your CYA level. As the CYA level increases, you will need a higher FC level to maintain its effectiveness as a sanitizer. Otherwise, you risk an algae outbreak. Most BBB'ers use liquid bleach as their primary chlorine source. Bleach does not contain CYA.

BoDarville said:
Here is a Pool School article on determining pump run time:http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pump_run_time

Of course, I recommend running a full series of tests in order for us to provide the most accurate advice. At a minimum, FC, TC, pH, CYA.

What is your primary source of chlorination? Do you plan to use pucks in the Rainbow 320? If so, most pucks contain trichlor which will raise your CYA level. As the CYA level increases, you will need a higher FC level to maintain its effectiveness as a sanitizer. Otherwise, you risk an algae outbreak. Most BBB'ers use liquid bleach as their primary chlorine source.
Good reading, thanks.
I need to update the test kit as soon as the budget allows. I just refilled the pool with well water. Our water has lots of tannins and the pool looked like root beer! We have it nearly cleared up. I've been holding chlorine at shock level and cleaning it daily.
I do use pucks as my water turnover is very high every year so my past CYA results have never been problematic. We have discussed liquid bleach but my wife isn't comfortable with it so we have done the Rainbow as a compromise that she's comfortable with.

xjarcher:

I hear ya on the bleach. I still get blank stares when I tell people that's what I use for my chlorine source, even after they tell me how great the pool looks and the water feels. I think the perception of bleach that most people have comes down to how it is typically marketed (as a cleaning solution) and how they have used it in the past. It was a foreign concept to me as well (putting bleach in the pool) until I took the leap of faith.

You seem to have a good understanding of what you are putting in your pool and it's effect on the water. In my humble opinion, that is a big part of the BBB method. Enjoy your pool! :cheers:

I've been the "pool guy" for a long time as we had a pool when I was a kid. (I've seen 46 super bowls) Bleach or SWG have been on my radar but I haven't made the leap yet. I did some math and it looks like I can get complete turnover in about 12 hours so I'm going to start there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.