Pool water went milky immediately after adding sanitizer

I'm going out on a limb on this entire statement so take it with a grain of salt if you will...........

This is by far the cleanest Baquacil pool I've seen to date. The majority of them are all cloudy at best. My guess is that once you add the oxidizer and sanitizer you are killing all the algae that has grown. The filter just takes a day or two to clean it up. Try to use some algicide with it, and keep the sanitizer levels up around 50. This should help keep any algae from growing in your pool.

Thanks, Linen! I was posting from my phone and only saw his reply.

Leebo, I added the top off amount again today, along with the algaecide. It still didn't raise it much. It's a bit darker than 30, but nowhere near 50. Should I double the dose? It seems to maintain whatever number it has well, but the top off doses just aren't raising it high enough. The weird thing is I have topped it off 3 times and it barely goes above 30. It stormed last night, so I figured I would need to add more. When I tested this am, it was a bit below 30, but not much.

Blessedmamato3, A really important question that no one has asked (unless I overlooked it) is how many years have you been using Baquacil? I'm a former Baqua user. I felt the same way you do about chlorine until I did TONS of research about it. I had a couple of successful Baqua years before it stopped working for me. The last year I used it I spent over $1,500.00 trying to clear my pool up before I said no more! I cannot explain why, but pools seem to build up an immunity to Baquacil after a while and the water will not stay clear anymore. I've seen this happen so many times.

This is my first year. I plan to empty and refill at the start of each season, run chlorine through it for several days, let it dissipate and then add the baq. A pain? Yup, but worth it to me. :). Our pool is tiny (12x52"), so refilling isn't really a biggie. Wow! $1,500?! That is crazy!!!

The pool is now crystal clear (or would that be chlorine clear? Lol) I added the performance algaecide yesterday, so I guess algae was the issue. Oh, and it only clouded up the first time i added the sanitizer and hasnt been a problem since. However, the sanitizer levels remain just above 30 and holding steady. I guess I need to add a lot to get it up, as the suggested top off levels aren't raising it.

I really appreciate everyone's help!

Hey all, I just wanted to do a follow up. For this little pool, I'm really liking the bacqucil. The sanitizer is staying at 30 (I haven't done a huge dose to get it higher, but I'm sure it would stay steady at a higher number too), the oxidizer is holding nicely and I haven't added any since the initial dose (6/5) and the TA and PH are perfect. The pool is perfectly clear and sparkling. When I used chlorine last year, I had constant trouble keeping the chlorine stable and the TA and PH jumped around, plus, I didn't want to be using chlorine anyway, so I'm really happy. I don't mind refilling once a year to keep me happy :).

I sure appreciate everyone's help!

blessedmamato3 said:
When I used chlorine last year, I had constant trouble keeping the chlorine stable and the TA and PH jumped around, plus, I didn't want to be using chlorine anyway, so I'm really happy. I don't mind refilling once a year to keep me happy :).
I wish you would had found us last year, we would have helped with getting your pool under control with chlorine, and then you might not had even had considered baqua this year.

It sounds like you sanitizer level may be too low? I think I saw leebo or someone say to be at 50 ppm. Also, don't forget to regularly dose with algaecide.

Me too! It would've saves me some frustration Lol. The reason I switched to baq has nothing to do with chlorine troubles though ;).

It's ideal at 50, but 30 is considered acceptable. I will get it higher once I get back to the pool store for more. We're in the boonies, so I get there twice a month.

Check on the algaecide ;).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A range of 30-50 is just fine. Don't let it fall below 30, however it sounds like yours is holding just fine. Keep an eye on the levels after a major rain, or a vacation. Those two times are when we often had issues with ours turning cloudy.

We also had good luck buying large amounts of baqua and storing it in the garage. If it's a long drive....look into buying a few cases and saving the gas.

Thanks, Leebo! I decided to do a double dose of the top up amount and got it to 45. Right after I added, it clouded just like the first time. Guess it was killing something. It's perfectly clear again.

Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the baquacil sticks? $17 for 25 tests is insane.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I wanted to update this post after having used Baq all season. We had a tree fall on our old pool, so we now have a 12x24 and are still using Baq and love it.

I found out that the cloudiness after adding the sanitizer is a reaction to the chlorine in my water (it's quite high) and filters out in less than 12 hours. So, problem solved. I wanted to make sure to mention this in case anyone else experiences the same thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.