In ground pool liner question

danpik

TFP Guide
Jun 4, 2012
western NY
I did not see a section for in ground pool questions so I figure I will ask here. The neighbor lady (friend of ours) has an inground pool. A couple of weeks ago, one of the neighbors decided to "help" her out by draining the pool to clean it for her. I have not been up to see it yet but apperantly the liner has come loose from the coping in a couple of spots. Never having messed with one of these I do not know what needs to be done. She contacted a couple of local pool stores and they quoted her $6,000 to fix it. At that price it sounds like it is something I should avoid. Are these much harder to work on than an above ground pool? I recall seeing a neighbor doing his own in ground liner replacement when I was a kid but never had anything to do with one. Any comments. I hope to get up to see it in the next day or so.

The longer the liner sits with no water in it especially in the heat, the more brittle it becomes and more difficult for it to have some stretch to get it in back in the coping. If she lets it go too long, she may have to get a new liner. That's why they usually don't recommend totally draining a vinyl liner.

Just a note: my comments were assuming it was a new liner when I saw the $6000 dollar price tag. If trying to save the existing liner, like DeeMac said, get water back in there asap and cross your fingers that it will still work/look okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.