New liner vs ???????

Jun 10, 2012
I'm curious to get the thoughts of this group. (Hello, by the way!!!!!)

I have a 24ft round above ground pool. It has been left uncovered and unused for over 2 years. The neighbors apparently had giant pecan trees that dumped tons of leaves, etc into the pool. They have since cut them down.

Now, here's my issue. Of course the water is disgustingly black. There has been at least one cat drown in there. I think my friend got it out, but not positive. I also have a bat issue, and have already gotten 4 out so far this summer while working on/trying to decide if and how to open the pool. I've done a lot of online reading, but so many conflicting things. Take the water down, don't take the water down. So, I ended up deciding to take the water down to little less than half level to be able to at least start using the rake leaf. I have one of those leaf eaters, but it doesn't work all that great. After taking it down, I realize I have TONS of leaves, debris and who knows what else at the bottom of the pool and I can't see it............ also, the walls are very black with stains, which I tried using the brush on, just a little to see how easy/hard it would be to remove, if at all possible. I noticed that with each stroke, I was wrinkling the liner on the sides because it needs some major elbow grease.

My pool is in a position that is is hard for me to rake anything that's more than a quarter way into the pool, so no way I can do it w/o getting in. TBH I'm scared to get in because I don't know what the heck is in there!!!!!!!! I also don't know what, if anything, will help me get my liner into an acceptable appearance.

So a couple of questions. Is there any way that filling the pool back up and working on getting it clean would help me see all those leaves at the bottom? Or is it virtually impossible to get the water clear considering how many leaves and the shape of the walls? No idea what that would cost in chemicals/shock. Also, I've been quoted 795 total to just replace the liner........

Do you think I'd be better off going this route? The liner is about 6 years old at this point. I don't want to waste any unnecessary money, but I don't know what to do.........I've tried and tried and tried to find some help and it just simply isn't available in my area. We have two pool supply/installation and repair places but they don't want to be concerned with these types of things and it takes weeks to even get a call back.

I'm wondering if I should just chuck it, but I'd really like to use the pool..............I've already spent a small fortune getting the plumbing redone, the electric re-wired and the motor fixed............seems sad just to give up, but Im about to that point.

I'm a single woman with not a lot of able bodied guy friends - not that they would help anyway! It's physically hard for me to pull the heavy wet leaves out, especially not being in the water.

Thoughts/suggestions?

You won't really get anywhere on clearing up the water until the leaves are out. If you can get the leaves out, the chlorine used to clear up the water should also clean up the liner without very much scrubbing at all. As long as there aren't any leaks, I would keep the liner you have.

There are various ways to get the leaves out, but they are all fairly hard physical labor.

Welcome to tfp, twinstarpower :wave:

JasonLion, as always beat me to it :rant: ...here is my take:

To save that liner, you will probably need to leave some water in it. My feeling is I would clean up the pool using the tfp shocking process and see if it also cleans up the liner (it is quite likely it will). A six year old liner is not that old, we have heard of much older ones on the forum, but do not entirely drain, since you may not get it back. It is good that is holding water. It will be key to get the junk out of there, but you are in a hard place since it is hard to see what you need to get out.

One approach would be to start the shocking process and just do a little leaf netting everyday. As the water gets clearer, then you may be able to see the rest of the junk you need to get out and be more efficient at it. You will be using up a good portion of you liquid chlorine/beach on the junk though.

Here is a great poolschool article to get you started: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/defeating_algae It has links for he shocking process as well.

Let us know what questions you have!

Thanks for the replies!!!! What is the tfp shocking process?

Also, how is it possible for the shock to actually do anything when the water is not circulating? I do still have water in the pool, and debated just filling it back up, because I worried that I might be doing damage by leaving it a little less than half down.

I have one of those leaf eater things, but tbh the net won't stay on..........so I have to use the leaf rake. Should I just bite the bullet (and pray for no dead animals) and get in and start scooping? I'm worried about trying to brush the sides now, being dry, because, like I said, I started seeing wrinkles, so I stopped and came in to ask you guys!

And another big question I had is if I have to go through an intensive shocking process - I'm weighing the cost/benefit. Chemicals and shock around here aren't cheap!

twinstarpower said:
Thanks for the replies!!!! What is the tfp shocking process?
It is linked to in the link I included above, but here is the direct link: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

twinstarpower said:
Also, how is it possible for the shock to actually do anything when the water is not circulating? I do still have water in the pool, and debated just filling it back up, because I worried that I might be doing damage by leaving it a little less than half down.
If you are going to try to continue to use the liner, get filled back up asap.

twinstarpower said:
I have one of those leaf eater things, but tbh the net won't stay on..........so I have to use the leaf rake.
To start with the leaf net is probably the best way to go.

twinstarpower said:
Should I just bite the bullet (and pray for no dead animals) and get in and start scooping?
That is up to you, though I would think there is probably nothing in there that will hurt you if you limit your exposure time/amount (legs only) and if you wash off immediately after. If you pool is long enough you may be able to do this from a deck/ladder almost as effectively.

twinstarpower said:
I'm worried about trying to brush the sides now, being dry, because, like I said, I started seeing wrinkles, so I stopped and came in to ask you guys!
I wouldn't brush until the pool is full and the liner is re-hydrated. Also, make sure you are using a brush for vinyl pools, not something stiffer.

twinstarpower said:
And another big question I had is if I have to go through an intensive shocking process - I'm weighing the cost/benefit. Chemicals and shock around here aren't cheap!
Bleach (or liquid chlorine, both are the perfered chlorine sources on tfp) is pretty cheap if you shop for deals, not much cost to the other chemicals you need. However, you will need a good test kit to do this most cost effectively. See this link for appropriate ones: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison I like the tf-100, most bang for buck. It may seem expensive now, but it will save you money and time cleaning up the pool.

I apologize. I didn't see the link on shocking the pool. Only the one on defeating algae. Okay, I will go start the water back up and start scooping.

Unfornately, I can only reach about 1/4th of the pool bottom from my deck. I'm just not strong enough to pull it from the other side because it's kind of on a hill. Hard to explain.

Thanks again, I'll go see the link.

I wouldn't get in that pool but do it from the deck. Ewww. lol

Ok here goes.

This past winter our pool didn't get covered. We have several trees in our yard and so does the neighbor. Means lots and lots of leaves. Our water was black and stank like sewer water when emptying. We drained our pool as low as possible using a sump pump. We then proceeded to empty the leaves out of the pool. That was a chore as they were heavy, nasty, and was all around gross. The pool liner was awful looking. This whole process took a couple of week-ends so be careful that your liner doesn't shrink and become unusable.

We then filled the pool up with fresh water (we too have a sewer charge and if we call and give them the dimensions of the pool we do not have to pay for the sewer charge which is more than the water). We did it using a hose allowing the water to run 24/7 for 2 and 1/2 days (we have lousy water pressure).

The fresh water immediately turned a horrid green due to algae still being in what little water there was left in the pool.

Once it is filled start adding your chemicals as advised here on the forum. Keep running your filter and making sure you backwash it as needed while you clear your water up.

It is possible to clean up a nasty, black cesspool with a little hard work and determination.

Good luck.

I'd want a pair of fishing waders on to get in the pool. Alternatively maybe a small step stool would help on the hill side? Maybe a teenage neighbor boy needs some cash for scooping leaves or the promise of future swimming?!?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.