TA too low?

G

Test show the following:
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 48
TA 70
I was having a problem with PH rising daily, so lowered TA to help with that. However, it did not help. My PH went from 7.3 to 8.0 in 2 days time. (I was out one night and did not check PH level). I am adding acid daily to keep my PH in range.
Is there a "normal" rise to PH - I mean, what should be expected in 1 day as far as a rise in PH? Thanks for your help

No, there is no "normal" rise in PH. Every pool is different.

If you continue to have problems with PH going up, you should let your TA go down lower. A TA of 60 is fine and will help at least some. It also helps to never bring the PH down as low as 7.3. Only lower the PH to 7.5 or 7.6.

If you continue having problems, you can try adding borates, which both help stabilize the PH and allow you to take TA down to about 40, which will help quite a bit.

If you have a lot of agitation, in the way of spill over spa, waterfall, fountain, or any return that breaks the surface, you will be seeing pH rise. I have all of that, along with high TA fill water.

Are you adding a lot of acid daily? I add some with every chlorine additions, a cup, more or less. It depends on whether I have to add much tap water. My tap last tested at TA 340 ppm so a few inches of refill adds up quickly. OTOH, rain dilutes TA.

I do have some returns that very gently break the water - but no waterfalls or spill over.
I usually try to keep my PH at 7.5 - I am adding between 12-16 oz acid daily

I am going to fix the returns so that they do not break the water at all,even though it is very gentle and not bubbling, and try to hold ph at 7.5 -7.6. If this doesn't work I will lower TA and see if that helps. Thanks Jason

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.