Heater Replacement

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Looking to replace the old non working natural gas heater. It was a Raypak 2100 400,000 btu natural gas heater. Would a heyward H Series 250k btu natural gas be sufficient? We mainly only want the heater for the attached spa, but may use it to heat the pool once or twice a season for pool parties if the water temp isn't warm enough.

Would this fit our needs?

JasonLion said:
There are significant advantages to having the larger heater. The smaller one will work, but it will take much longer to bring things up to temperature (nearly twice as long).

I figured as much. That being said, I'm looking to pick one up used so if the price is right. If I can get a larger one, I will.

danpik said:
What was/is wrong with the old one?

There was some sort of heat issue that caused the wiring to be burnt/frayed. It doesn't reliably ignite and there was some sort of issue that caused the previous pvc to warp, not sure if it was from the hot water back flowing into the pipe incorrectly or what.

I have a Hayward 250K BTU that I picked up for a song on Craigslist and I'm very happy with it. I have about the same number of gallons to heat as you (mine is 28,000) and I find that it heats about a degree per hour.

I've only used it to bring the water up to temp at the beginning of season and then to make sure the water is up to 85 degrees for a party occasionally. It definitely does the job. I'd recommend putting a cover on the pool every evening to make sure the warm water you "bought" doesn't evaporate.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.