When is it time to replace light niches?

cabanacarl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
One of our pool lights burnt out, I replaced the bulb with 300w (300 w is what the fixture calls for) feit, and it immediately blew. I did notice when removing the old bulb that the very bottom of the the Edison base had detached, (the bulb glass did not seperate from the Edison base) just a small 3-4 cm round piece of metal with 1 strand of filiment. I used a flathead screwdriver to scrape and unlodge. Anyway, I found this odd, after replacing countless lights around the house, never experienced this before. The inside of the fixture is dry, I am wondering if the actual light niche is bad, how do you know when it's time to replace? Appreciate insights. Thank you.

You need a new fixture, the part the bulb goes inside of which can be removed from the wall.

You don't need a new niche, the part that is built into the wall and can't be removed. The only thing that can go wrong with the niche is for it to leak. There isn't any way the niche could cause the bulb to blow out.

Thanks, sorry for using wrong description, how difficult is changing the light fixture? Is this DIY or call the pool guy repair? Also if replacing 1 should I consider replacing all 3 (2 pool 1 spa) at the same time. Pool is 12 years old, how long should fixtures last?. Last question what should I expect to pay for this type of repair, for 1 or all 3. Thanks again.

It's a pretty straightforward DIY thing. You put on a mask, go down and find the screws, and unscrew the fixture. You should then be able to pull the fixture in it's entirety out and onto the deck as there will be plenty of wire to allow for this. You make the replacement while you have the light on the pool deck and then reinstall in reverse fashion. One thing to also replace when you do this is the gasket that creates the seal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.