About to GAG! How can this BE?!

May 21, 2012
Hey folks...newbie here.

Bought a money pit/home last June. Renovated a LOT. In-ground liner pool had a lot of issues ....spillway spa, heater, leaky liner...the list went on. Finally...we couldn't take another hole/leak worry so we JUST replaced the liner yesterday. Beautiful new 'designer series liner' by GLI. Urgh. So...it's almost filled...about 6 inches to go. I'm sitting at the top step/coping area and admiring the pretty new liner which goes LOVELY with this (kind of odd color choice) gray steps. Not sure if they're fiberglass or what...they're 'pebbly' and are even 'blistered' a bit in a few places. But I was warned that it was VERY costly to replace these steps. So...anyway...admiring the new liner and glance down and see a FIVE INCH HAIRLINE CRACK on the very top step. For the love of GOD, shoot me now. I mean...the new liner isn't 24 hours old yet and now another issue to fret about?!! I didn't notice it before. We've had a leak detector here 3 times repairing leaks and he never noticed it. Could it have happened while the pool/steps were dry and we shouldn't have walked on them? Either way...WHAT NOW?! I need a ray of sunshine, folks. This red wine isn't helping. Yet.

I appreciate your thoughts...

Drowning 'in the red'...

Cheryl
Charlotte, North Carolina

Hi Theresa! I got yours and I LOOOOOOOOOVE it! I was thinking of you tonight as I sat there watching it fill (before noticing the crack) and thought...'Can't wait to post a pic on here to show Theresa'...

Now I'm just a ball of anxiety. ONE MORE THING! Urgh!

Cheryl

8corneflakes said:
Oh NOOOOOOO! How disheartening. I can't help because I don't know the answer. But I was wondering what GLI liner you ended up getting? Hopefully someone here can help you.

theresa

Cheryl,

hang in there...seems like there's always one more thing. My husband has experience in fiberglass repair, but on cars. He seems to think the steps can be repaired if you don't fill up to where it is cracked.

As a side note, I had a 'red wine' week myself. My kids are all out of school and driving me nuts!

theresa

If the crack is underwater take some red food coloring (other colors will work) in a squeeze bottle and slowly squeeze drops out running along the crack, if they swirl and disappear into the crack you have a leak, if they just slowly fade into the surrounding water you don't. Just move slowly so eddy currents from your hands don't disturb the drops.

Ike

If it does turn out to be a crack, wouldn't it be as simple as some epoxy and fiberglass material to cover the crack? Seems like a simple repair, but I don't have a fiberglass pool. Anyone know how to fix a crack in fiberglass here?

I tried the food coloring idea (thanks, guys!) and the food coloring just floated there. No movement at all. I'm still a bit flipped out that it'll get worse. There are a few companies around here that say they can repair it...but matching the color is the problem. My pool guy says it just never looks right when I just generally questioned him about it (nor was he volunteering any responsibility for the crack or not checking the steps BEFORE doing the liner and filling the pool). He suggests it's cosmetic as well and just to leave it alone. So...I guess that's all I can do at this point. And try the food coloring every now and again to be sure I'm not losing water through the crack and causing more 'underground' damage. Urgh. What a worry!

More red tonight. And not the food coloring! :)

Cheryl
Charlotte, North Carolina

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.