Need info on waterfall build...

reef n ale

LifeTime Supporter
I haven't talked to my PB about this yet because I wanted to see what you guys think.

I'm having a small waterfall done and my PB is using a shelf to build it on. The stone that sits in the shelf will be sitting in about 3-4" of water.

I came home the other day to find the gunite shelf coated with what I think is tar. I'm at the stage of just gunite-no tiles or coping yet.

Does this sound right or normal???!!! Tar???!!!

I'm at at loss as to how this should go and how it fits into the pool build.

Please help!!!

Rob

The gunnite is not considered waterproof -- it will let some moisture through. The plaster makes the pool water-tight. if the rocks will be placed on the gunnite, there would be no plaster in this area. My guess is that the 'tar' is to seal the gunnite from water getting through (in or out). Our PB said they seal the shotcrete behind stone veneer on a raised bond beam to keep water from hitting it from behind and causing efflorescence.

Steve

The shelf is going to be below the waterline? Is there some kind of a step beyond the stone? The coating is probably as Steve said, to waterproof the surface of the gunite. Our PB used a coating over the gunite shelf under our waterfall and grotto as well, but the shelf on ours was above the waterline. If yours is below the waterline, water will seep through under the stone. Hopefully they've got a shelf behind the stone to contain the water.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

Here is a closer pic of the shelf before the tar coating. I'm estimating the stone will be sitting in about 3" of water.

Does this all make sense? :?

It's raining here today, so I'll try to get a pic with the coating tomorrow.

dsc0026ni6.jpg

I doubt it's tar, it's probably bituminous waterproofing. It's used all the time in roofing, but I don't know if that's a widely accepted product for use in pools. If you're concerned about it ask your PB what they used and discuss it with them. If still concerned, find out the exact product and look it up online.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.