Help with pool automation!

Jun 9, 2012
Hey ya'll! I just ordered a Pentair IntelliFlo VF Variable Flow High Performance pool pump, and I was wondering how to upgrade my system to automate it to acoomodate the pump. Currently I have a

X10 pro wireless remote it controls my
pool and spa lights
heater
two pumps
two valve actuators
Spa blower

My outdoor 'box' is a MINI-Pak by Aquadyne
my valves are JVA2440

Automation is one of those things that can be relatively cheap, or the sky's the limit. It all depends on what you want to do with it. Intermatic sells a relatively basic system that can control your Intelliflo. Jandy also has some systems that can directly control that pump via RS485. Pentair has three levels of automation, with increasing price points respectively: SunTouch, EasyTouch and IntelliTouch. The advantage of the latter two is that you can control them via your computer or iPhone with an added software/hardware add on option called ScreenLogic 2. This basically connects to your computer or router via ethernet and converts ethernet to RS485 so that your computer or iPhone can interact with your EasyTouch or IntelliTouch. If you have a large number of things that you want to automate via a single panel, the IntelliTouch is the best option. I use Insteon for home automation, and I'll keep using that, while getting an EasyTouch panel. Once Pentair offers an Android version to communicate with ScreenLogic 2, then I'll be able to control outdoor lighting, etc, via MobiLinc (through Insteon) and my pool with that app. The EasyTouch systems are nice because they also can come packaged with a SWCG and transformer built into the power center, cutting down the cost if you also plan to add a salt system.

Intermatic's MultiWave is based around Z-wave HA technology. X10 technology is a bit old school these days, and upgrading your HA to something like Insteon or Z-Wave is probably the way to go. Since Intermatic supports Z-Wave on their MultiWave products is a good thing. Their products are somewhat limited, but if that suits you, that might be the way to go. Z-Wave is RF based and unlike Insteon or X10, does not use powerline signals. Insteon is a "dual mesh" protocol and uses both powerline and RF to communicate, which can add to the robustness if set up properly. What in particular are you planning to automate?

You can find the Z-wave system from many online sources. An example:

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-Autom ... gories.bok

I do suggest doing a bit of research to make sure this is the system that you want. The advantage is that it will mesh well with Z-Wave home automation, but it's not as full featured as other pool-specific automation systems like those from Jandy and Pentair. However, if you just need simple pool automation and you want it to link up with Z-Wave, this is probably the way to go. Z-Wave switches and the like are available from several sources, such as:

http://www.smarthome.com/_/Z_Wave_Compa ... /land.aspx

Smarthome sells what appears to be a really nice automation controller for Z-Wave called the Vera2. This can also act as a bridge between your X10 stuff and Z-Wave, allowing you to take advantage of your existing HA investment. The Vera 2 also has apps for the iPhone and Android OS so you can control you HA and Multiwave pool controller from anywhere in the world. I wish more pool automation vendors would open their systems for simple HA control. This might be the best route. But, please do a little more research to make sure this is the way you want to go.

Hello- Last year we purchased the Easytouch saline system with the intent of adding automation. We are in the process of setting up the rest of the house with security system, door locks, and thermostats all connected via the z-wave technology. I ahve spent hours and hours scouring forums and speaking to PentAir and other techs with no help reallya s the outcome. From what I have understood, Screenlogic is my only option. So I have made peace, however, I don't fully understand why there is an additional $400 plus cost for the wireless kit. There has to be another way to sync the Main Panel to the protocol adapter right?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.