Renovation price... A little overboard?

likwid

Jun 11, 2011
Waldorf, MD
Southern Maryland Location.

I had a company come out and do an estimate on renovation for my pool. its a 20 x 40 36,000 gallon in ground liner. It has an old copping system that needs to be replaced and the concrete is sinking in. During the look over the guy estimated between 10k and 15k. The same guy came back with an official estimate below.

Pump & Acid Wash 650.00
Remove 805 sq ft of Existing Concrete Deck 3750.00
Remove 2 Skimmers and Install New 3800.00
Install New Plumbing Lines 1350.00
Remove & Install New Coping 1800.00
Install New 805 sq ft of Concrete Decking 6725.00
Remove & Install New Liner w/ Light Patching 4600.00
8’ Dive Board & Stand 1075.00
Merlin Winter Cover 3200.00

Total Cost: $26,950.00

this is almost double what he estimated when he was over looking (assuming his max estimate of 15k). This seem normal or insane? for 30k I could almost get a new pool installed.

That is slightly above the total cost of my new pool (electrical, deck, everything).

I know prices vary by area, but I figured I would pass that along.

Also, my deck (1200+ sq ft) was $3460. That include final grade, steel (rebar not wire) 3500 psi fiber reinforced concrete.

I think you should always get a few bids.

this price does not include any new equipment mind you. I think he is just high balling me, not sure why you would say at site 10 - 15k and turn around with near 30k which is near an estimated new pool cost from another company.

It is kind of a strange bid. For example, I can't think of any reason for it to include a safety cover. Also, not really clear why they threw in acid washing. What is getting acid washed? It is a vinyl liner pool and the deck is being replaced, so what is there to acid wash?

I told them i was interested in a new cover since mine is dated. Not sure about the acid wash myself. Perhaps they were thinking of acid washing my current DE filter elements since his estimate was to not contain any new equipment.

I will get other bids. I just wanted to see if anybody else renovated and how much to compare what it should be around. I think 10 - 15k is what I expected to from what I was asking.

1. New Decking
2. New plumbing and attach it to my new equipment (electrical already done)
3. 2 new skimmers
3. New diving board
4. New liner and copping

I never asked him for a ball park. He just said it should be 10 to no more then 15k including water (not asked for) and cover. Guess I got surprised when that no more then 15k came out to 27k.

I had to have a skimmer replaced including cutting the concrete deck plus replace slimmer plus replace concrete. $1200. Someone else on the board paid the same. Your bid seems high if the deck is removed anyway.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone :)

The liner, coping, and plumbing prices all look reasonable. But the deck price is quite high both for removal and replacement. Is your pool area difficult to access? Deck removal and install both require moving a lot of material in and out.

I agree it is insane, I just had the 30+ year old metal roof over my indoor pool replaced along with new blown in closed cell insulation (finished today), a new skylight and am having 32 new vapor tight fluorescent light fixtures installed (hopefully Tuesday) all for a bit less than that bid.

Ike

p.s. on the deck area you might consider alternatives, for example there are thin pour concrete products designed to let you level out sunken concrete foundations, or maybe overlaying after levelling with pavers, etc. to avoid the costly demolition

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
$650 to acid wash DE filters? You can buy new filter grids for a bit over $100, so that's just crazy talk. The concrete bid seems very high as well. I think you need to do a bit more research and have at least two more bids, probably more. For $500, my former pool company cleaned out and acid washed our pool which had turned into a swamp while we were in the process of buying the house (the former owner let things go for a while before we ended up purchasing the property). Gee, for the price of concrete quoted, we could easily get very nicely done pavers. What kind of concrete costs that much?

Nothing fancy he was to just replace what we already had. I am getting other bids just wanted to make sure I was not losing my mind thinking this was normal.

Here are two images. One shows the access from the road and the other shows the pool entirely.

To the right you can see the fence that has the gate to the front. You can also see the old style coping and the concrete sinking under it at this angle.
556363_3466102425530_274715424_n.jpg

Here you can see the pool from the street when the gate is open, you can pull a truck right up to it and pretty much be next to the pool to unload anything needed.
547673_3466103225550_743950871_n.jpg

I know your frustrations likwid. We recently had a guy come quote us on just digging the hole for our pool. 1st time he said 1200-1500 at the max. Came back out 2 days later with a bid of $2800. I guess some people pay those prices but I would rent a excavator and do it myself before I would pay someone double of what the job should be. Ours luckily looks like it is going to work out. Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cant see anybody paying 30k for a renovation when you could demo and get a new pool for a maybe 10k more. I was quoted by another company earlier that only did concrete pools. He said he would convert it for 35k (including decking). I'm not interested in doing a conversion.

Its just frustrating when a company blatantly tries to rip you off. They were my go to company for anything for the last 3 years, not anymore. He can make it right by doing it for the correct price, maybe.

Looks like hauling will have to be done with a wheel barrow. Perhaps in your discussions with future PB's you mention removing that portion of the fence and then re-installing it after work is done so a little bobcat/skidsteer can be utilized and/or concrete buggies unless they are going to pump concrete in.....

Alternatively you could rent a dumpster, an electric jackhammer, and demo the pool deck yourself probably in a day.....

basically you are in same situation I was in 20x40. Everything new except hole. Im in MA here is rough breakdown

Concrete:10500 remover 1200 sq ft put in 900 with cantilever coping( I hired my own guy)

Pool: liner, convert to hard bottom,2 skimmers,4 return lines, installed stair unit, water truck x2 about 10k

I think the concrete estimate is good I think the coping price is a little high. If you want less to worry about have them get rid of lights potential for leak. Also I am not a big fan of the safety covers when you open it its a swamp.I Get a good winter cover online for 100 bucks replace every 2-3 years with a new one shock the pool and ist clear when you open it. My suggestion steel stair unit they put in corner of poo,l liner goes over it bottom step is about 9 ft wide, didnt think i would like it wife wanted it but it looks nice and Kids love it and as I get older it will be easier to get into pool. it was 1700 bucks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.