New AG build.... need advice on bottom

mnormington

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 23, 2008
Burbank, IL
I'm finally putting in my AG pool and I'm kinda torn between going with a sand bottom or a foam bottom. Anybody have any opinions based on experience with wither one of these?

It's a 12 x 17 oval. I'm thinking of either going to put in 2" of sand or 1 1/2" of sand and 1/2" happy bottom with a foam cove. Or should I just put foam with no sand? I'm really not sure what's the best way to go here.

I bought it for my pool and I like it! I even went with the coves and wall foam too. I think it has even helped in eliminating foot prints but that's just my opinion. I've had both and the floor pad is pretty cool.

And you defiantely need sand, maybe not as much if it were just a sand bottom but you should put sand down.

HTH.

O, and it is get's really crazy heavy if it get's wet and you need to move it!

Well I finally found somebody local that had the stuff for a reasonable price and in stock so I got it. I have a couple of good warm sunny days to start next week weatherwise so I want to try to get my liner in on one of those. I was suffering from paralysis by analysis on the foam bottom issue so I didn't have it lined up like everything else when I started prepping the area for the pool.

I'm planning to just put down enough sand to smooth out the ground real nice (maybe an inch or so) and then put the pad on top of that and then the foam cove. Does this sound like the right way to go about it?

A nice smooth base will make everything lay much nicer. Make sure there are NO stones or protrusions of any type even close to the surface because even with sand and a foam bottom the weight of the water will push very hard down and you won't believe what you can feel through all that. Stuff gets pushed up from the ground more each year.

Good luck. Um, pictures???? You WERE planning on putting some on as soon as you start, RIGHT?????????????

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.