Super High CYA

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
I have searched all over the site but can't find what I'm looking for. I did a CYA test with my K2006 kit and the water in the test filled to the top of the tube is still clear, I can see the black dot plane as can be. I know this is limited info but is there a reason it tests like this. The kit was bought last year and I just got a fresh set of supplies in for it last week and used them. Water is clear. Still coping with the NC yellow pine pollen and those long stringy things off of trees. I have not done the major cleaning to my DE filter system yet. Was going to wait until the pollen season was over, at least the pine pollen. Pool was open all winter. Pump has been running 24/7 for the past month. All of last year my CYA was at 100, I have only used standard bleach all of last year. Nothing with CYA. The pool has been partially drained, maybe a 1/4 at the most, we are in drought here and I hate to use the water if I don't have too. This spring rain has brought it up past the skimmer twice. I had to drain back down to skimmer level. Much needed rain and I'm not complaining.

FC 0
CC0
TA 150
PH 7.6
CYA don't know test doesn't go any higher than 9 on the tube.

24,500 VIG

If you can still see the black dot of the CYA test very clearly then your CYA level is zero (or very close to zero). It sounds like you may have lost all of your CYA over the winter, which happens sometimes.

That is a relief so to speak. I battled with it being high all last year and thought I would have to drain and refill to get it down. With the drought that wasn't much of an option. What would be the best way to get it back up? Buy just CYA or use Pucks and Pool chlorine that has it in it untill the level comes up?
Thanks

You've got several options. You can use Trichlor pucks/tabs which slowly erode over days, but that will also require pH Up since the Trichlor is very acidic, or you can use Dichlor granules which dissolve relatively quickly, or you can get pure CYA which is slow to dissolve, or you can get a liquid slurry form of CYA. I compare the cost of these different options here. The lowest cost is either the pure CYA or the use of Dichlor (the latter being reasonable because it also contains chlorine). I'm using Dichlor as my source of chlorine right now because my CYA is low. Most people on this forum use the pure CYA to raise the CYA level and put it in a sock or panty hose and hang it over a return flow since that just takes a couple of days to dissolve.

Richard

Re: Super Hight CYA

PoolDad2 said:
CYA don't know test doesn't go any higher than 9 on the tube.

24,500 VIG

You are looking at the wrong scale on the tube. They CYA scale starts with 100 ppm near the bottom of the tube closed to the black dot and will be marked 30 ppm near the top of the tube with other numbers in between but not evenly spaced.

The 9 you see is 9 ml. The ml scale on the tube is not used for the CYA test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.