Toomchfun

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 28, 2012
Dallas, Texas
I have some small bugs swimming around. They are about 3/8" long 1/16" wide with thin wing like things they use to move around. I've seen three so far and they swim at a depth of about 1 foot. How can I kill them.

[attachment=0:2q064z6j]Southwest-20120608-00167.jpg[/attachment:2q064z6j]

Can't tell from the picture, but odds are, those are backswimmers. I get 'em when my water isn't exactly balanced. Once my water is perfect, they go away. Some people say that adding borates make them go away. I've seen lots of different things people do. If you sacrifice a chicken during a blue moon they'll go away too, I think. Just do a search on backswimmers, you'll get a lot of talk about em!

_edit_

Found a pic. Is this it? They're also called boatmen but real boatmen swim right side up.

4a0583ed-c6b5-0d63.jpg

-more editing-

They also bite, and it hurts!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Yup, you have backswimmers. When I see them in my pool, I do the full suite of tests on the water. I usually find something that's slightly off. Once I get that back in check, they always go away. This is my experience with them, other people not so much. However it may be the slow moving stream I have that might be attracting them more then my awesome pool water.

I know I'm not much help here, seems everyone has their own way to deal with these, and this is my way.

Good luck!

Oh, if you think they're too weird swimming upside down, just put a light at the bottom of your pool, and cover the top of the pool. They'll swim right side up. It's the light that makes them swim upside down...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.