converting this week - high bacquacil levels

leigh

Apr 14, 2008
Charlotte NC
Hi! I'm a newbie. We've had our AG for 1 yr. It's 24' x 54", hayward sand filter....clueless about pump. I want to start the conversion this weekend, but my Bac levels are....unfortunately....perfect for Bac. I think I read in another thread how to lower bac levels before starting the conv. but I can't remember what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to TFP!

Some people have had great success using sodium percarbonate for the initial stage of the conversion. When it works correctly it can speed up the conversion process but it tends to cost more.

Hi leigh and welcome to TFP :)

List as much pool/equipment info in your sig as you can. This will be needed by those trying to help you with your pool.

What test kit are you using?

Good luck with the conversion!

Okay....sorry it took me so long to post again....

I'm using test strips by Aqua Chem.....I know, FAR from what I need, but I'm going to get a kit SOON>

I started my conversion Sunday. We went from green swamp to pea soup to an opaque aqua color. Today, I actually saw the bottom of my pool....briefly. :) Then, I poured more bleach in... The bacqagoo isn't as prevalent now and I can tell I'm heading in the right direction.

Questions....

I know the test kit I need is the TF. But, for now, is there a less expensive one I can use....just until I can justify the extra $$ in my budget.

When I get my pool clear and add CYA, what then? What levels of chlorine should I have?

TIA for answering the newbie's questions!

ETA so far, I've added about 40 gal of bleach.

To do the conversion you really want to have a FAS-DPD chlorine test. You can get that by it's self from a couple of places, including TF Test Kits and Taylor.

A top quality test kit will save you lots of money by avoiding wasting chemicals, there really is no better investment you can make in your pool.

Even before reading your response, I had decided to purchase a test kit. I'm going to try to find one locally (mostly because I need it NOW), but if not, I guess I'll be buying the TF online....

Thanks! I'm looking forward to having a clean, clear pool like you all boast about! :)

The kit you want is a Taylor K-2006, NOT the Taylor K-2005. This is the least expensive Taylor testkit you can find that has the FAS-DPD test in it. As far as it goes, Dave (Duraliegh) is VERY fast at sending out the TF testkits. If you order before 2 pm he ships that day , if I am not mistaken.

waterbear said:
The kit you want is a Taylor K-2006, NOT the Taylor K-2005. This is the least expensive Taylor testkit you can find that has the FAS-DPD test in it. As far as it goes, Dave (Duraliegh) is VERY fast at sending out the TF testkits. If you order before 2 pm he ships that day , if I am not mistaken.

:-D Thanks! I ordered mine this morning!!

BTW.....I can see the bottom of my pool! Woohoo!

Hi, Leigh,

I am reluctant to get in on the discussion of how important a test kit is for obvious reasons. It was the single best purchase I made for my pool when I bought mine years ago. I hope you find yours as useful.

Yours shipped this afternoon and should be in your possession tomorrow. Thank you!! :lol:

duraleigh said:
Hi, Leigh,

I am reluctant to get in on the discussion of how important a test kit is for obvious reasons. It was the single best purchase I made for my pool when I bought mine years ago. I hope you find yours as useful.

Yours shipped this afternoon and should be in your possession tomorrow. Thank you!! :lol:

Yep, I've already checked the tracking site (twice :oops: :lol: ). I'm doing the happy dance. Sorry you missed it! :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.