My first water sample - am I looking at it correctly?

Taterfink

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2012
NE Florida
The pool is almost full and I am trying to use the pool calculator.

Please read and let me know if I am doing this correctly.

Okay, here are my numbers:

FC - 0
CC - FC did not turn pink so there was no point in going any further with that part of the test.
PH - 8.2
TA - 100
CH - 120
CYA - 0
Water temp - 78 degrees F

I will be connecting the pump/filter first thing in the morning. The water has only just reached the first
Port (going out to filter). My thoughts are that first priority is to get chlorine into the pool asap. So I will
be using just the filter/pump for now and hooking up the SWCG after I get things under control.

pH is 8.2 - As I understand it, I should first try to lower the pH a bit by adding 33 oz of dry acid (pH down) . Circulate this for 30 minutes.
Then:
Add 132 oz of 6% bleach and 59 oz of stabilizer (in a sock I suppose. On the ladder or in front of the return)

OR add 16 oz dichlor ( to bring up the chlorine and the CYA simultaneously knowing that either way the CYA won‘t show up on a test for a week)

Am I even close to being on the right track?

You have the right general idea.

You can have CC even when FC is zero. You should always add the five drops of R-0003 to see if you have CC.

Don't adjust anything until you have the pump running.

Bring the PH down first.

If you are filling the pool with municipal water (i.e. not a well) there is no rush to add chlorine. Add 2 ppm of chlorine the first evening after dark. Adding it sooner than that will just let the sun burn it all off.

I wouldn't get involved with dichlor, it is very acidic and more trouble to keep track of than it is worth. Just add stabilizer/conditioner/cyanuric acid.

Jason, Thank you so much for the quick turn around!

I will hook the pump up first thing tomorrow and re run the tests. This time with the 5 drops of R-0003 to ck for CC.

Then I'll work on the pH, and tomorrow evening I'll add the 2ppm chlorine.

Should I go ahead and introduce the cyanuric acid tomorrow a.m. after I take care of the pH?

I truly was leaning toward the separate chlorine and stabilizer. Nice to know I was correct. You have emphasized here on the forum that if we use separate chemicals, it is easier to know exactly what is going in and out of the water.

Thank you again for your help,
Angie

Should I go ahead and introduce the cyanuric acid tomorrow a.m. after I take care of the pH?
Yep. And, you are doing good with your pool thinking :)

Remember the CYA will lower the pH a little, so don't adjust it too low in the morning. To see the effects of adding CYA(or other chemicals), check in the lower section of the PoolCalculator.

Thank you Butterfly, I'll take it easy on the pH adjusting as you suggest. Also, thanks for the heads up about looking at the lower section of the pool calculator to see how the chemicals affect each other. I'll be sure to check it regularly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.