Heat Pump Question regarding alarm notice

Our pool was put in last October so we didnt get to use it till this week. Our pool guy did a great installation but is not so great with the follow up. He was supposed to come back and open the pool and explain how to work everything. He wound up just sending some guys to open it. They tried to explain but they didn't really speak English that well. I figured out the chemical part of things from this site. I have been reading posts since last year when we decided to put a pool.

Now, I have some mechanical questions and I would be grateful for some help. We have a Pentair Heat Pump. The Hayward DE filter and the pump and the Salt Generator and the heat pump all are wired through a fairly small box on the house with a dial type timer. I figured out how to set the timer to go on at 6 AM and off at 7PM for now. When the timer shuts the systems down for the evening the heat pump shows a message that says LOW FLOW ALARM. The "service" light turns on and glows red. I think that this just means that the heat pump turned off when the flow of water stopped. However, the word alarm and the red light glowing is a little too ominous for me to ignore without checking with the experts here. Is that normal. When the system clicks on via the timer or if I throw the switch the Alarm message goes off and the red service light goes out. I read the entire manual to the Heat Pump (actually I read all the manuals that came with the equipment - I had to go out and pick some of them from the garbage when they installed the pool] The manual does talk about this message and explains why it occurs but doesn't say if it is a problem. My husband is not really comfortable with the glowing red light and thinks maybe we have to turn the heat pump off and on manually all the time which I think defeats the purpose of having the thing on a timer. Thoughts?

I also have questions about the valves that direct the water to the various drains and skimmers and things. I will try to take a picture of the set up before posing more questions. Some day this will all be second nature and will be able to tell which way to turn the valve to make it open or close but not just yet.

Thanks!

Thank you so much for your quick response. We left it on all night and it did turn on this morning and the error message is gone. There also seems to be a setting that will wake the heat pump after four hours and have it sample the water temperature and run as long as necessary to bring the water back to the set point. I don't know how that would work with our setup. I can't imagine how the heat pump could make the filter and pump come on. When I get a little braver I will try it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.