Pool Pilot Digital

nupoolsoon

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 7, 2008
With our pool install only 1-2 weeks away, I believe I have actually come full circle! I initially wanted the Pool Pilot Digital, then switched to the Aqualogic for solar compatibility then to the Intellichlor for automation compatibility. Now I have scrapped the automation, decided to go with the simple solar control the solar installer provides and get a two speed pump and I am back to the Pool Pilot.

One thing I noticed on their site is it says "built-in pool time clock controls pump". I must have missed this about two months ago when I initially started looking or since I was planning automation, omitted it. Now it is of importance to me.

I have always liked the features of this SWG. Glad it is back in my hands. Planning on placing my order this w/e.

1) Can I operate a 2 speed pump with the PPD?

2) Is an SC48 big enough? My CAD drawing says pool volume 19,600gallons. I know these sketches are not always accurate. Our pool will be an 18'6x36 Grecian Lazy L 3'6 shallow to 7' deep. One online retailer, the price btwn the 48 and 60 is only $75, but is there such a thing as oversizing a SWG

3) Since my pb is not an Autopilot rep/installer, is AP any more difficult to install than other brand?? We only have one AP dealer around us and he never returns my calls, so off on my own I must go.

TIA.

The thread DaveNJ pointed to does pretty much cover all your questions, but I thought I would gather things together here.

The AutoPilot Digital only has one pump relay. When you have a two speed pump there are two different ways you can wire it. Either the AutoPilot turns the pump on and off and there is a manual switch to change speed, or the AutoPilot switches between high and low speed and there is a manual switch to turn the pump on and off. The first option, manual speed control is best if you have enough flow on low speed to keep the AutoPilot happy. The second option is best if you don't have enough flow on low speed.

The SC-48 is fine, but you might save a little money in the long run by getting an SC-60 (which will last longer to make up for the higher price).

The AutoPilot install is just about the same as for any other SWG. I have heard of installers getting confused about using it with two speed pumps though. The manual does not correctly spell out the options you have with a two speed pump, though it is simple enough to figure out if you are aware of what the options are.

Maybe I will still get an external timer. Seems the easier route for the pb and since he has offered to install it, I will try to make it easy on him. How much extra room is needed for the Pool Pilot? I will need to relay this information to the pb. Thx.

Can someone give me the schematics of a pool equipment pad layout. We will not have a heater, but filter and pump (obviously), SWG, and solar(sensors). I know the solar guy also needs about 15in of pipe for his solar sensor, so where would the SWG pipe go in perspective to the solar pipe he needs??

Also, the solar installer said he would upgrade my solar control to a Aqualogic AQ-SOL-LV-TC for $75, which has a time clock to control the pump, so could I use the Aqualogic for the timing of the pump and the Autopilot for the on/off of the pump??

http://www.goldlinecontrols.com/Support ... 08E_SS.pdf

Thx everyone. After months and months of research, I think it is all finally falling into place.

Other equipment will be QuadDE80 and Whisperflo Dual speed 2.0hp.

Unless you upgrade to the Aqua Logic series there isn't much point in getting a timer in the solar controller. It won't be able to do anything that the Pool Pilot Digital can't do and will only add complexity. The Auqa Logic series, for example the PS-4, understands two speed pumps and can control the solar system as well. The Aqua Logic series costs noticeably more but then it does a number of things that the simpler systems don't do (like supporting an optional remote control).

One option that might make sense would be to have the Pool Pilot turn the motor on and off and have the Aqua Solar's booster pump relay control high speed vs low speed. But that all depends on what your plan for using high speed vs low speed with the pump is.

There are several different ways to get all this equipment to work together. Which one is "best" really depends on what you are trying to do.

Jasonlion - I would like to set the pump to turn on with required speed to operate the solar and the solar to turn on as well so I don't have to run to the equipment pad each morning to start it going. I guess I can set the pump to turn on by the Pool Pilot and then buy an Intermatic clock for the high/low speed IF I decide to still get a dual speed pump (see below please) I am also looking for my equipment to tell me my salt levels, when to add salt, and what the temp of my water is since the basic solar control only has an analog dial. The pool pilot will do all of that, so I will stick with the basic GL235 solar control for the solar installer.

However, since you seem to know alot here, and I have read some of your posts re: solar, maybe that is where you can really help me. I guess I am looking for the most efficient pool I can get installed. I have read Hydraulics 101 and see that they feel a dual speed pump on LOW will not work with solar which needs to travel approx 25ft up to the roof Would there be any benefit of me getting a dual speed pump or should I just get a single speed? (I have already ruled out the Intelliflo) I was also taking the 25ft height + the length of the solar panel which is 16ft (not sure if the 16ft shoud be taken into consideration). Then the pool will be approx 50ft from the house/equipment pad too. I don't plan on running the solar all day during early and late season maybe 4-5hours?, Only until it reaches the set temperature and then was hoping to switch the pump to low the remainder of the day/night, During the summer, shouldn't need it too much and also hoping the solar blanket will help maintain the temperature over night.

Thx again.

Thanks Jasonlion..I was editing my post as yu were replying below.

Yes, so still looking for recommend #of HP's 1.5 or 2.0 dual speed.

Priming the solar panels is not going to be possible on low speed of any plausible two speed pump. If I read correctly you have a 41 foot static lift. On low speed with a large pump the best static lift you could hope for is maybe 20 feet. There is some chance that you could run on low speed once the panels are primed with a large pump, but I am not at all sure of that given the height and distances involved.

You can still save a fair bit of money in the long run by getting a two speed pump. While the solar panels will need high speed at least part of the time (and quite possible the entire time), operation without the solar system won't need high speed. The savings from running on low speed when solar is not needed will be enough to make the two speed pump worth it.

Sizing pumps for complex solar systems is a little outside my expertise. Hopefully mas985 will stop by and offer a suggestion of an appropriate HP rating.

As for optimal efficiency, that really would involve at least three speeds, priming the panels, running the panels, and running without solar. That means either an IntelliFlo or two pumps plus a fancier control system than the one you mentioned. None of which is something you want to get involved in unless your installer has experience with that kind of setup. The next best thing is probably a two speed pump with solar running on high speed and regular operation running on low speed.

Ok, so I decided on the 2.0Hp dual speed and the SC60 autopilot. Can someone answer my last remaining question....can I use the same horizontal pipe for the solar sensors and the SWG sensors?

Thanks so much!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the same pipe but you need to have enough length. Basically the sensor counts as an obstruction, so if you need seven inches of clear pipe before the second sensor it can't be closer than seven inches from the first sensor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.