Need recommendations for a new Salt Generator

Katai

Mar 24, 2012
Hey all,

So it looks like I need a new salt generator. My old salt cell finally went kaput (I have no idea how old it is, since it came with the house when I bought it). It was a Zodiac ClearWater LM2-24. Apparently they don't make the salt cells anymore, so the cells cost like $450+ dollars to replace. At that price, I'm probably looking to buying a brand new system.

Has much changed in the market within the last year? I've been looking at old posts from a year ago, and most of them talk about systems that were new at the time, so there wasn't any reliable information on them. So far I haven't found a bad review of any SWG, but I can't find a decent side-by-side on why I should pick one over another.

So what should I look for in a SWG? How much should I expect to spend on it? Is it difficult to install myself? I'm also considering a PH control system. Should I look at all-in-one systems? Or should I consider buying them separately?

The Hayward/Goldline AquaRite system is simple and we have found extremely reliable and the T15 cell powerful and more that adequate for most residential pools. Above 40,000 gallons you would need 2 systems. Control pH manually.

I like simple.

All the popular brands are good units. Pentair, Hayward, Autopilot, Compupool, Jandy, etc. We don't get more complaints about one over the other.

I would add pH control as a separate unit if you need it at all. Start out manually adjusting it then decide of you need to automatically control it.

I suppose I'm just looking for the best cost-to-value ratio. My old one was pretty simple. You can set how much chlorine you want, and can superchlorinate. That's really all I need. I'm seeing stuff like reverse polarization and extra timers and meters and stuff, and I don't know if those sort of things are nice to have?

As for price, I just want to know if there are any models that can convince me completely that spending 4-500 dollars on a salt-cell for a discontinued system is stupid.

I have a Compupool system a CPSC 48 on a 17K pool. I run my unit at 80% for about 6 hours a day. I'm pretty happy with it. I paid $750 a year ago for it looks like you can get it for $735 with free shipping from PoolNpatio.net

Here is a comparison chart i came across. I'm replacing a 9 year old Zodiak LM-40. I talked with someone I know who has the Circupool RJ-45 that is really pleased with it. They ran a sale Memorial day weekend where you pay for one and get a free upgrade to the next larger size. This is the longest warranty I could find. (7yrs)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It took me about 6 hours total to complete the install. Wiring was no problem as it came set for 220V and that was my plan for the install. I spent about 2 hours mounting the unit on the wall as i wanted to clean up the look by cutting my vinyl siding and adding a mounting plate to make it look clean. I added a block of wood in the plate to brace the mount by securing it to the OSB with four wood screws. I then put the cover on and mounted the unit to the cover as directed. The plumbing was the longer part of it as replaced most of the PVC between the filter and the cell. You should let the PVC glue cure for a while as recommended by the mfg of the glue. Make sure you plan for this by adding chlorine and letting it recirc for a while prior to shutting down for the swap/install. The RJ45 powered up and went into salt check when the power was restored. It takes a few minutes to complete, but man does this thing generate a fog of gas! Mine leaked at the cell end initially. I had some new o-rings shipped out and replaced them. Turns out the cell can be installed upside down and will cause it to leak. After the new o-ring leaked, i pulled it out and looked it over carefully and saw that the top and bottom notches are a little different. I rolled it and re-installed it and no more leak. My only regret is that I didn't go with the RJ60 to get the extra generating capacity. Not that this one is not big enough, it has stabilized at 5-6 ppm cl on an 8 hour run @ 100% output. Now i am dialing back on the output. If you are curious, i can add Pics later.

FWIW - I went with the AutoPilot because it works with a much lower salt level. With our tap water, salinity levels actually increase over time so a low salt level is very important. This unit replaces a QuikChlor because the parent company will not import the Australian made cells into the US any longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.