What is the best way to remove my waterline stain?

I do not want to take over your post - but I have a similar question. Can anyone identify this stain? Ive already identified that the pitting marks is due to winterization (prior owner) where ice was allowed to form.

I know I had these same pinkish stains around my pool edge last year as well, however I never confirmed how to deal with them.

FC: 20
CC: 1
PH: 7.2
TA: 160
CH: 260
CYA: 50

[attachment=0:37c5hqqs]photo.JPG[/attachment:37c5hqqs]

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 286
Do I need to give it a muric acid wash, or just use Muric acid in the pool? I'm concerned with my ph already low that the muric acid will send it too low.

Thanks for the help. I read calcium scaling in pool school and I'm still confused.

I tried the pumice stone route last year and I went through a lot of them with minimal results. I have some friends that have very smooth tile and they just scraped their scale off with a razor blades. I think the best way to apply the acid is with a spray bottle but a brush will work as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shane1 said:
I tried the pumice stone route last year and I went through a lot of them with minimal results. I have some friends that have very smooth tile and they just scraped their scale off with a razor blades. I think the best way to apply the acid is with a spray bottle but a brush will work as well.

Just found this site a few weeks ago. After reading so much I realize all the things I've done wrong over the last 10 years. One of which is let my CH get REAL high, then not really pay any attention to my PH.

You can imagine that I get the water line scale every year, and every year for the first 8 years I would use the stupid pumice stones to scrape off the Calcium build up. This litterally takes forever and is a huge PITA. But if you got a week (or two), and maybe a few kids to take turns at it, it will take the scale off.

Last year however I had an epiphany, and some how realized that the Muriatic acid would take the scale off. I used a spray bottle, diluted the acid 50/50 with pool water, and one of those house hold scrubby pads. I finished the whole pool in about 2 hours. Spray the acid on a 5-6' span, scrub 2-3' at a time with the pad and work your way around the pool.

Now that I found this place, and bought my TFT Kit, I'm working on lowering my CH and keeping my PH down. :-D

CLB

ETA: My experince is on tile. I'm not sure what it would do on stone (if there would be a difference)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.