We watched our new clear water turn swamp green

Jun 8, 2012
We just installed a new pool and had a defective pump part which took 2 weeks to get a replacement. We watched our new clear water turn swamp green. We have a SWG. We, of course, wanted to avoid chemicals and are unclear how to proceed. My understanding is that we follow the above instructions for regular pool setups and my question is, do we need anything special to get our levels correct? We haven't tested anything yet but we are not sure if we need specific stabilizer or shock for SWG.

Welcome to TFP!

The first step is to get some test results. PH and TA should be adjusted, if needed, before you start. You don't need to test anything else right at the start unless you feel like it.

The procedure for cleaning up the water is the same with or without a SWG. The only differences are slight variations in where you want a couple of you chemical levels when you finish up, but there is no need to worry about that right now.

Have you added anything to the pool yet?

kat1976 said:
We, of course, wanted to avoid chemicals and are unclear how to proceed. My understanding is that we follow the above instructions for regular pool setups and my question is, do we need anything special to get our levels correct?

Remember, chlorine is chlorine is chlorine. The sanitizer produced by your SWG (chlorine) is the same that's added when you pour laundry bleach in your pool (chlorine). Balanced correctly, it is the best way to keep your pool clean and safe.

Have you read any of the Pool School articles yet?

Don't expect your swg to tackle the algae... it won't keep up.

Like smykowski said, chlorine is chlorine is chlorine... in this case, you will need to get some liquid chlorine and start the shock process. See How-to- Shock in the Pool School section.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.