Pool continues to foam

Jun 8, 2012
We opened our pool almost three weeks ago and since it was such a warm March here, for the first time the water was disgusting black and had alot of algae growth. We have a 16 x 24 inground pool and have never really had issues other then chlorine off and a copper issue when we first moved here that was quickly solved. We opened it treated it and it was clear within a week however it continues to foam and has been for the last week.I have had to shock it due to some rain recently and am wondering even after cleaning the DE filter and having my water tested by my pool place, the only thing lacking is my chlorine levels. What is this foam that keeps coming when Im running the filter if my pool is clear and my levels are all good? This morning my chlorine was just barely registering but There is plenty in there right now so what do I do with this foam? Is it safe how do I get rid of it?

Welcome to TFP!

Could you post a complete set of water test results? That will help us figure out what is going on and give you more specific advice.

Various things can cause foaming. Chlorine will take care of it eventually, but sometimes it takes a while. In the meantime you might want to try an enzyme treatment, which will help break down whatever is causing the foam.

You are not adding enough chlorine. You should never let FC get below 3 (given your CYA level), and while dealing with the foam you should keep FC up around 10. Maintaining appropriate FC levels might be enough to clear it up. If you are having problems where all of the chlorine is going away very quickly you should shock the pool.

Also, get the PH up to 7.2-7.5 right away.

Thank you ... I have 4 chlorine tabs in the pool now and with the two gallons of shock thats what it has come up to? As far as the ph its already been added as of this morning after the test. With all the foaming I didnt want to keep adding chemicals is all thought it was going to make it worse.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.