Automatic pool cover install under diving board?

roegs

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2012
We're having a PCS automatic pool cover installed on our Minnesota 18x36 vinyl liner pool. It will be installed recessed under the concrete at the end of the pool where the diving board is. The installer was out the other day to mark the area where the concrete will be cut. After cutting the concrete, they will build a wood vault for the motor / mechanism. My concern is how close the concrete cut will be to the edge of the pool. Due to the location of the diving board, the wood vault that contains the mechanism will be set back only 5 inches from the edge of the pool. In other words, there will only be 5 inches between the wood vault and the water. The vault will be approx 15 inches below ground level. Will 5 inches between vault and edge of pool be enough to properly support the edge of the pool? Some of the documents I've seen state that there should be 12 inches between the edge of the pool and the vault, but my installer maintains there will be no issues. The last thing I want to do is affect the structural integrity of the pool. Is a 5 inch setback enough? Thanks!

The pool is a vinyl liner. I've attached a couple of photos showing the area marked for the vault. Notice the last photo with the tape measure showing 5 inches between pool edge and where the vault will be dug into the deck. I’m concerned about compromising the integrity of the pool sidewall along that edge. The vault will be constructed out of 2x12 (maybe 2x14?) treated lumber. I’m by no means a pool construction whiz, but installation manuals that I’ve seen to date show a minimum of 12 inches at this point vs. the 5 inches that my installer will work with. We live in MN, so the pool does freeze in the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.JPG
    IMG_0046.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0048.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0050.JPG
    IMG_0050.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 98
Hmm, I dont personally think that will be a problem, we don't have an automatic cover and have been looking into it. A family member has an automatic cover and theirs is 6 inches from the edge of the pool... I wouldn't be surprised if there is an installation manual online. I saw another pool build where there was only an inch or so in-between the pool and the cove.

Tatertot09...thanks for the confirmation. Was exactly what I was hoping to hear. I also got a chance yesterday to speak with the owner of Midwest Covers in Iowa, and he also mentioned that it should not be an issue. Too bad I don't live closer to him, as he'd be great to do the cover. He took my call and spent as much time as I needed to ask questions about automatic pool covers. All this knowing that there was no way he'd get the job due to geographic difference.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.