Pool help

Jun 7, 2012
I'm a very frustrated pool owner the past two years. Mostly in part due to high cya due to overuse of tabs in the skimmer.
I'm learning from your site. Just opened the green swamp and now its cloudy blue with floating algae at times. Just added 6 (182oz) bottles of bleach and 20lbs of baking soda and using my test kit T100.

Vinyl pool
approx 25,000
FC 18
CC 1
PH 6.8
Alk 180
Calcium 60
CYA 75-80
What do I do next?? Thanks.

Well, you got a little ahead of yourself. Why did you add the baking soda?

You are gonna' have to shock your pool but I would rather have you raise your pH first. Is that what you were trying to do with baking soda?

Hi, welcome to TFP! Were the test results posted before or after you added the bleach and baking soda? If so how long did you wait before testing? If you tested after giving everything about an hour to mix with the water then here's what you need: According to the pool calculator your shock level is 21. You need to raise the FC back up to 21 ppm with 1.6 jugs of 6% bleach (96 ounce size jug).
Baking soda does not raise the pH very much. It has a greater effect on raising TA. Soda ash or washing soda has a greater effect on raising pH. You can also aerate the water to raise your pH by pointing the return upward so it breaks the surface of the water. That bubbling action will raise pH without raising your TA any higher.

Drain/refill and reduce your CYA down to that 40-50 number (you should drain about 1/3 of your pool).

Then, let's start over so we can tell exactly where you are. Post test results for FC CC pH TA and CYA.

Plan to shock your pool with A LOT of bleach.

Looking forward to your next post with test results. :lol:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
cloudy blue some algae on the bottom that brush up and suspends in the water, getting clearer slowly, can now see the bottom of the shallow end. think i overchlorinated. My FC is 27.5 and my tc is 28.5
kids want to know when they will be swimming.

Keep brushing that algae up. The sooner you get it off the bottom through vacuuming or brushing, the sooner your pool will clear.

I would be reluctant to swim in a less than clear pool.

It is safe to swim up to shock level for your CYA value. However, it is not safe to swim in water that is not clear -- you need to be able to see to know swimmers are safe.

Ok this morning it's:
FC 12.5
CC 0
PH 7.2
Alk 200
CYA 70-80 (still draining and refilling as much as we can)
Can almost see the bottom of the deep end, still pretty cloudy, no visible algae
What's next? THANKS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.