Pool pump low suction

Jun 5, 2012
Hey guys,
I found this forum and read how a a ton of pool issues have been resolved! Im hoping someone can help me out! Here is my dilemma:

I have a pentair pool spa pump and a 28x16 above ground pool that is counter-sunk about 3 ft.

I first noticed that the Kreepy Krawler wasnt moving anymore while tryng to vacuum the pool. I did some research and did all of the recommendations. Backwashed, checked and cleaned the skimmers, Checked the union O ring on the skimmer line to pump, checked the lid and o ring on the basket, reached in and to see if there was anything stuck underneath the basket and line going to pump. I am at a loss! Whenever I remove the lid on the basket and close it back up, the pressure seems to increase for about 2 to 3 minutes and there is a ton of air bubbles before it becomes stable and then goes low pressure again. The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
I thought that maybe its the pump and I was about to remove and disassemble it, but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously! Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Only after I clean it, and the water level drops in the basket as well.
And when I run the Krawler, it pumps very little water as well. It will sit still after about 2 minutes.

Attachments

• IMG_0830.JPG
    IMG_0830.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0831.JPG
    205.1 KB · Views: 121
The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
That sounds normal.

but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously!
That sounds normal too. After you clean the filter, suction will increase.

When you open the pump basket, the pump will lose prime so when you turn it on again, it takes a few minutes to purge all of the air. So if the pump settles down at 15 PSI, and you no longer see air coming out of the returns, everything is normal.

When the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure will drop and the cleaner will lose suction. After you clean the filter, the suction should improve.

So I guess I don't understand the problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mas985 said:
The gauge on the pump stays at about 15 psi.
That sounds normal.

[quote:3q0wsxyh]but whenever I backwash the pool, the suction increases tremendously!
That sounds normal too. After you clean the filter, suction will increase.

When you open the pump basket, the pump will lose prime so when you turn it on again, it takes a few minutes to purge all of the air. So if the pump settles down at 15 PSI, and you no longer see air coming out of the returns, everything is normal.

When the filter gets dirty, the filter pressure will drop and the cleaner will lose suction. After you clean the filter, the suction should improve.

So I still don't understand the problem.[/quote:3q0wsxyh]

The problem that i have is that I cant run the kreepy krawler like i used to. That little guy would be hauling @$$ cleaning up the pool and now its reallllly slow and after a few minutes completely stops and just sits there. I also noticed that the return doesn't feel as high pressured as it used to be. everything I read online directed me to the skimmer>pump side, its my first above ground pool so Im a noob to all of this :/

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.