Putting up Intex 9 X 18 pool. Questions on pavers and foam

nelson411

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Northern California
Hi all,

Thanks to all of the wonderful advice, and the size of our backyard and wallet, we finally decided on an Intex 9x18 Ultra frame pool. It arrives today, so I'm dragging my DH out to buy some things for the build.
I have searched on the board, and so I apologize for redundant questions, but.... :)

What size pavers do we need for the legs?

What kind of foam do we use for the bottom? I've read that polystyrene foam insulation boards are good. Is that the rigid pink board or some kind of softer sheet.

We are leveling our space with a cultivator, and tamping down the dirt with a tamper.

Any advice would be very welcomed! I'll put up pictures as we go along.

Cheers,

Liz :wave:

Re: Putting up Intex 9 X 18 pool. Questions on pavers and fo

Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in as I am pretty new to this all myself, but...I just finished shopping yesterday for the finishing touches for putting up my Intex. We got a 18'x48" ultra frame, and from what I gathered, the amount of pavers needed is equal to the diameter of the pool. Since mine was 18', I needed 18 pavers. I also read on the forum where 6x6 were used, so that is what I purchased. I was able to get them for 84 cents a piece, so that wasn't too terrible. Not sure about the rectangular pools though and how pavers are measured for that.

As far as the foam board goes, I got the pink polystyrene with the tongue & groove. I opted for 1 inch (as it was on sale at Menards and only 3 cents more than the 1/2" of the same kind).

Hi!

Thanks for that speedy reply! :goodjob:

CarlyK82 said:
We got a 18'x48" ultra frame, and from what I gathered, the amount of pavers needed is equal to the diameter of the pool. Since mine was 18', I needed 18 pavers. I also read on the forum where 6x6 were used, so that is what I purchased. I was able to get them for 84 cents a piece, so that wasn't too terrible.
Great to know! By 6 X 6 you mean inches? How about depth? 2 inches? I'm so new to all of this!! And terribly challenged when it comes to DIY :oops:

nelson4!11 said:
As far as the foam board goes, I got the pink polystyrene with the tongue & groove. I opted for 1 inch (as it was on sale at Menards and only 3 cents more than the 1/2" of the same kind).

Thanks! How does it feel under the pool? Did you put a tarp over the foam board?

I hope you are enjoying your pool! Please put up a picture!

Cheers,

Great to know! By 6 X 6 you mean inches? How about depth? 2 inches? I'm so new to all of this!! And terribly challenged when it comes to DIY :oops:

I am terrible when it comes to DIY too...we haven't started even putting ours up yet because the boyfriend has been working like crazy so I have been sitting here waiting to do the pool.

Here is the link to what we got (and the price went down too, so I need a price adjustment, LOL)
http://menards.com/main/building-materi ... c-5786.htm

And here is the foam boards:
http://menards.com/main/building-materi ... c-5779.htm

We made sure to find some decent pieces of the tongue & groove and also picked up some gorilla tape to tape down the seams.

We already started to prep the area (we had the blue blob last year) and so we just need to level the sand underneath the area and we should be good to go and start. I have already planned on taking pictures as we go along of our progress, as we have to finish up the octagon that serves as our fence for the pool. I shall make sure to let you know how it goes.

Thanks for the links! :goodjob:

CarlyK82 said:
I am terrible when it comes to DIY too...we haven't started even putting ours up yet because the boyfriend has been working like crazy so I have been sitting here waiting to do the pool.

Sorry to hear you are waiting for the pool! My kids are waiting, but not very patiently! It's like taking a car trip, "Is the pool ready yet? Is the pool ready yet?" :hammer:
I'd be lost without my DH to do the DIY stuff. I'm the one who says "we need a pool!" and he puts it into action. :wink:

Right now our back yard is dirt, all dirt! My DH is battling a major root from a fig tree. Once he wins, we will start to transform the backyard into a small oasis, hopefully!

I've already bought the compost and manure for the new grass we are putting in, and some shade plants to go behind the pool. I just hope we can get it done before it gets too hot!

Thanks again for the links. They really helped! :whoot: :bowdown:

Cheers,

Don't use patio blocks under the legs! Use wood!!! We have a broken patio block and will need to empty the pool to replace it. NIGHTMARE! Not going to do till this fall since we only use it for floating and not crazy stuff :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.