Excavator not digging steps is this right???

cword

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2008
My pool dig started this morning but they had to stop it due to rain. They only got a portion of the shallow end cut out and I saw there were not steps shaped out where they were to be. I questioned one of guy who is doing my rebar, gunite about this and he said they totally shape the steps in with gunite. is this right??? From from I have read the top step mound is left in place with dirt. Any thoughts?

I seem to remember a post about using 'extra' gunite on steps. It was a link that showed that gunite failure was largely caused by moving extra shot gunite, after it had been slightly set, to form steps and seats. I couldn't find the post when I searched.

There's a difference between using "rebound" and just forming the steps with gunite.

I would request they not use rebound material to form them, but just form the steps with the fresh gunite as it comes out. I believe that is a common practice for smaller steps and ledges. I have a couple small ledges on the deep end of my pool that were formed as an afterthought. They sprayed them on and built them up after the wall was shot. The larger/longer steps and benches were cut from the ground and the rebar cage formed.

Ok, i'm breathing easier. Thanks to all for feedback

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I am breathing easier now. He is using fresh gunite, not rebound so I am OK with this.

Ditto the above on my pool. They left dirt in under our baja shelf, but didn't for the pool steps. Like you I got concerned about it. I called the super and he explained that they shoot it in solid gunite. Sure enough they formed the steel for the steps and the steps were solid gunite by the time it was said and done. No worries :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.