High Chlorine

Jun 5, 2012
Sims, NC
Hi, I'm a new pool owner. We went with a 24' round above ground salt water system. Every time I test the chlorine, it's showing off the charts. I ordered the TF-100 and did the test today and when I test the chlorine, it is showing orange instead of turning yellow. The SWG has been at 100% since we bought it, probably been a month and I didn't realize until I did a test that it was so high. I'm guessing I should just turn the SWG to off and let it run a few days like that to get it down? I ran it on 30% yesterday and half day today until I turned it off when the test kit arrived. Here are the other #'s I got:

FC 1.85
CC 0
TC (just add those 2?) 1.85
TA 90
CH 250
CYA 50

Chlorine looks orange when testing
ph seems around the 7.5 mark with TF-100 and 7.2 when I use the pill looking kit that came with the pool

Welcome to TFP!

You can't measure 1.85 ppm FC with the TF-100. The normal test is 0.5ppm per drop, so maybe you got 18.5ppm from 37 drops?

When you sat the test turned orange, I am assuming that you were using the T-1000 kit that has test vials for chlorine (OTO test which measures Total Chlorine) and ph attached to each other? If yes, then a FC or 18.5 ppm(as measured by the TF-100 FAS-DPD kit)would likely show up as orange on the OTO Total Chlorine test, though that test is really only accurate up to 5 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
mynewpool is right on. CC>0.5, water clear, and FC at or below shock level (for your pools cya level).

What I don't understand is why your FC is taking so long to come down. Am I reading that you only dropped 0.5 ppm FC in two days? Have you turned off the swg? No other chlorine sources going in? How much sun do you get on the pool?

Yes, the SWG is off, yesterday was the first full day it was off. I had it on 30% for most of the day on Thursday until I tested it, then I turned it off. So basically one full day off not counting the 1/2 day today. The pool gets about 7-8 hours of direct sunlight before the shade starts to cover it. How do I know the shock level of my pool? I'm new to all this.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.