new cart filter still not filtering

It would be great if you could put your basic pool specs/equipment list in your signature. That makes it simpler for us to answer your questions.

I believe you have a cartridge filter. The two things that tend to go wrong are that the filter cartridge doesn't always seat down into the filter correctly, allowing water to go around the filter. Or, there can be a tear in the filter fabric, which requires replacing the cartridge.

Every spring I have a problem with pollen going through my cartridge filter, especially if I have no algae. When I have algae, that builds up in the filter and allows the pollen to be trapped. We get loads of yellow pollen covering our deck table and when in the water, looks like algae.

I am actually having this exact same problem, also with a Pentair clean and clear plus. Mine is quite a bit older, somewhere around 8 years (I just bought this house, so I am unsure and there is no documentation anywhere.)

I had a large algae problem stemming from neglect by the previous owners before they closed the pool. I have since gotten the FC stabilized and I believe the algae is mostly if not all dead. My water is still a very cloudy blue green. When I vacuum however, I can very clearly see brown water spraying out of the return jets. At the time, my filter was already pretty well clogged with dirt, so I am wondering if that is the culprit. I will try again tonight when I clean out the filters and vacuum again. I also noticed debris on the screen on top of the air bleed tube, so that means water is flowing through there right? Is that normal? Maybe that is how the dirt is getting through the filter.

Your comment about pollen got me thinking though. I have a TON of yellow pollen around my house, so much that my dark gray car is now brown. Could the pollen be so thick on the floor of the pool (cloudy water, I can't actually see to tell) and the particles so small that it passes right through the filter? If so, how do I clean it up? Clarifier?

If you have not completely killed the algae then all the filtering in the world will not filter it out. If there is a green cast to the water the algae is not dead. Keep hitting it with chlorine until the pool clears. Also, how old are your cartridges? If they more than about 5 years old it could be time to replace them.

So live algae sucked through the filter will pass through and cloud the return jets? That could explain it. The algae is almost dead, as my chlorine levels are dropping quite slowly, but there are probably still a few stubborn ones. I will keep on hitting it. As far as how old the cartridges are, I have no idea. Bought this house this winter, and was left with no information or documentation :-( They look like they are in pretty good shape, but I am not sure how I can tell. They clear from quite brown to a very light tan when I hose them off.

well my water is not green or has any indication of green tint. It is blue and almost clear. Pentair service is coming next week, I will let you guys know what they say about the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.