First pool bid analyze-- Houston area

neuro0

Apr 15, 2012
Hi all,

My family are ready to build our first pool, we got two bids so far. The following bid is quite attractive, but is there any thing I want to modify for better pool performance.
I will change to variable speed pump for extra $500. Add two deck jets for $450. Change the depth to 5ft and change the sun shelf to a shallow water area about 2.8 ft that is about 1/4 the size of the pool for my young son. I perfer salt water system but PB said not a good idea because of the corrosive nature.
Thank for all the help.

Perimeter 102
Surface area: 530
Size: 14’6x41’
Pool style: free form
Gallons: (APPROX)
Depths; 3’6-7’

POOL/SPA MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT
FILTER: PENTAIR 420 SQ. FT cartridge filter
FILTER PUMP: PENTAIR 2.0 H P Whisperflo PUMP
SKIMMERS: Two HAYWARD AUTO SURFACE SKIMMER
POOL LIGHT: One LED light
POOL CLEANER: Polaris 280
MAIN DRAINS: Two 8” POTS SEPARATE LINE TO EQ.
POOL INLETS: Six ADJUSTABLE RETURN INLETS

POOL/SPA STRUCTURAL SPECIFICATIONS
STEEL: #4 STEEL CONTINUOUS AROUND BEAM
STEEL: #3 STEEL AT 8” O.C ON WALLS AND FLOOR
GUNITE: 6.1 CEMENT AND SAND RATIO
GUNITE BEAM: 12” PNEUMATICALLY APPLIED @ 4000 PSI
GUNITE FEATURES: WALLS/FLOOR/LEDGES AS PER PLAN

PLUMBING SPECIFICATIONS
CONTRACTORS TO PROVIDE ALL PLUMING FROM POOL/SPA TO EQUIPMENT PAD AS SHOWN ON PLAN OR AS SPECIFIED IN THIS PROPOSAL.ALL PLUMBING MATERIAL USED WILL BE 2”SCHEDULE 40 PVC PIPE AND FITTINGS.
38 feet from Spa to Equipment

GAS
Gas connection from meter to Heater with regulator
30 total feet

ELECTRICAL SPECIFICATIONS
ALL ELECTRICAL INCLUDED FROM MAIN BOX TO EQUIPMENT PAD, FROM PAD TO POOL/SPA LIGHTS WITH (1) 110 OUTLET WITH GFCI AT EQUIPMENT PAD.
175 total feet

TILE AND COPING
Flagstone coping with Standard tile
Trim Tile on all steps and benches

PLASTER
White Pebble

DECK SPECIFICATIONS
456 SQ. FT of 4” Concrete with 3/8” Steel at 18” O C
170‘of drains out of decks ran to street with 5 drain heads and 2 down Spouts
4 deck sleeves
P-Gravel finish

Spa Specifications
6 jets
One 2.0 H P air blower
One 400,000 B T U Master Temp Heater

Two main drains
One LED spa light
Standard Spa Spillway
7’ round
Not raised 18”

POOL MAINTANANCE EQUIPMENT SPECIFICATIONS
TELESCOPIC POLE
12” DELUXE VACUUM HEAD
40’ VACUUM HOSE
18” METAL BACK WALL BRUSH
SKIMMER NET
4-1 TEST KIT

PB WILL PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING AFTER COMPLETION OF POOL
START -UP
CUSTOMIZED POOL SCHOOL
BALANCE CHEMICALS AND STABILIZE WATER

Additional Features
Fill Line
One Overflow Line out of decks tied to 4” Drains
Sun Shelf Per Plan with Bubbler tied to Returns
One 6’ Bench

PDA 4 wireless pool/spa control system

2 sections of fence up after completion
6 Return lines
Small Tractor Dig
Nature 11 Purification system

Warranties
One year from PB on Material and Workmanship. Lifetime Structural warranty and various Manufacturers warranties.

TOTAL $ 38,750.00

A couple of things:

1, your plumbing looks like overkill to me, this is a GOOD THING, I would just make sure with all those returns and suction lines that they are individualy plumbed with shut off valves and not just one big loop, this way if there is ever a leak you can isolate it.

2, I would go with 5-6 inch for concrete decking, 4 inch can work for sidewalk areas, etc, but I feel safer when it is a bit thicker

3, Ditch the Nature II system, the general feeling around here is using them and your asking for trouble,

4, Why do you want a variable speed pump?

The one thing I noticed is the pool light. I don't think one led is enough for a 41' pool. Our is a little shorter and our two led's are just barely enough.

I'd get a couple of more bids just to get familiar with the specs and pricing. We learned a lot from each builder we talked to.

Few more appointments with different PBs. Will see. This bid is $5000 cheaper from the first bid I got. This PB just asked for my last bid and giave me a price based on what that bid was.

There is a big premium on the price for variable speed pumps, you might consider a 2 speed one instead, that way you can run in on low when your not vacuuming, etc. Also I second the bit about needing more than 1 light, upgrading the lighting will be one of the things on my to do list next time my 20x40 needs a new vinyl liner, if nothing else a single light in a pool casts some big shadows.

I also think you will need 2 LED lights for a pool that size...one on each end.

Also, consider travertine instead of flagstone...and spraydeck instead of peagravel. Flagstone and pea gravel decking = HOT in TX. That was what my last pool coping/decking had, and my new pool is MUCH cooler with the travertine and spraydeck. The flagstone used to get so hot you couldnt sit on the edge of the pool in the heat of summer. The pea gravel you had to run to a shady spot or it would burn your feet. The spray deck by comparison is much cooler.

That seems like a really good price. Agree with the other poster about the extra LED light

double check the wireless system to see if it can change the temperature in the spa or if it just turns things on and off

We got a two speed pump and are very happy with it. We keep it on low speed where it uses about 180 watts to circulate most of the day. We use the higher speed (I think it is 800 watts) to skim the surface clean and to run the spa jets. It is less expensive than a variable but has good energy savings

Our filter is larger at 525 sq ft cartridge filter. PB said that means we will have to clean it much less often.

We found pebble to be really rough so went with quartz. Usually pebble has a pretty big premium so you might save a lot without it.

Our pool which is probably about the same size (shorter, but wider) was 65K in austin. The main thing we got beyond yours was a patio cover. Probably 5-6K of materials.

It looks like a very good bid, however the skeptic in me wonders why it seems so comparatively low considering all that is included? 41'x15' while somewhat narrow is still a fairly big pool and your equipment list is pretty substantial. I'd get 1 or 2 more quotes and mabey ask to visit 1 or 2 of his projects before signing the contract.

Good luck!

Hi Neighbor!

We recently went through the same pool bid process. Your quote is right in line with the 5 bids we received. Yet, all of mine were flawed in one way or another.

I don't know why the local pool builders insist on the flagstone coping. I insisted I did not want flagstone yet every builder put it into their bid.
Ditch the flagstone and a salt is a good option.

Be aware of some of the "gotcha's". Make sure everything is in writing. The contract most likely says they are not responsible for any damage.
So make sure your utilities are not in the way. They will be your responsibility.

4" decking is fine. Just make sure 450 sq/ft is enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.
Talked to three more PBs yesterday, each has it own good.
Is quartz durable? One PB told me quartz is less durable than pebble.

What color of water people like here? Dark blue or sky blue?

Very anxious to get it starts ASAP, yet can't forgo the the comparative process.

neuro0 said:
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.
Talked to three more PBs yesterday, each has it own good.
Is quartz durable? One PB told me quartz is less durable than pebble.

What color of water people like here? Dark blue or sky blue?

Very anxious to get it starts ASAP, yet can't forgo the the comparative process.

Pebble is more durable than quartz, but quartz is more durable than plaster. If you learn the BBB method and take good care of your pool chemistry, even plaster can last 20 years. Pebble has different types, pebble tech has larger pebbles but is the roughest, pebble sheen has smaller pebbles but isnt as durable. Pebble fina has the smallest and is the least durable. Im not sure if quartz is more like pebble sheen or fina, but I think pebble fina. (pebble tec is a brand by the way)

We like dark water and went with midnight blue diamondbrite - which is very dark.

The quartz is almost too rough for us still, but we are happy with it. Plaster is very smooth like polished concrete.

We like dark water and went with midnight blue diamondbrite - which is very dark.
March2012 - we are considering Midnight Blue Pebbletec as my wife really likes the darker colors. Have you had any issues with the water being too warm? That's my only reservation. We live in The Woodlands, and although the pool will get full sun in the middle of the day, it will be shaded until late morning and again late in the afternoon. Any thoughts or input?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.