Yup I jinxed myself!!

May 31, 2012
Western, Wisconsin
so last night I posted pics of my crystal clear pool water. So then late last night I brushed down pool and vacuumed as usual then back washed and rinsed filter. I put my solar cover on and added water to my pool as my level was starting to get low. I was all excited as my TF-100 test kit was scheduled to arrive this morning at my house(its actually there now, but i'm at work) This morning when leaving for work my pool was green. I had been using the Walmart test kit while waiting for the real one to show up and everything was kosher(til this morning). these are the things I know about my fill water. I'm on a well so I have alot of Iron and I know I have a high level of manganese in my water which I'm sure is partly the cause to all this. After testing last night and using pool calculator I had to add 222 oz of bleach. Below are the results of the Walmart test kit. everything had been pretty much spot on for the last week the only thing that was changing was the chlorine levels and I was adding as needed.

OTO test = 4
PH =7.5
TA = 100
CH = 260
CYA = 40

However, I am not worried as I know I can get it back and I get to use a real test kit tonight (just wish I could skip out of work and get to it) and correct this issue.

Tell us more about the green, when did it show up, what does it look like, had you added a lot of bleach or changed the pH just before it showed up? It is possible that the green is from metals, not from algae.

Its a dark green showed up this morning or sometime through the night. As I stated above I am on a well that I fill with so yes it could be metals I do have Iron and I do have a lot of manganese in the water, As I have to unplug water softener every year or so for my house water. I am drilling a new well this year so that issue will be gone by the end of the summer. I did not change PH as it was at 7.5 I added 222 ounces of 6% Bleach per the pool calculator. My test kit arrived this morning so as soon as I can get out of work I can do a full accurate test and post results

*EDIT* The more I think of this I am leaning towards it being metals as the water is green but I can see through it, and my test results for the last week were good and I added water last night. But, as stated I need to use my brand new test kit I just received and will be picking up some metal magic on the way home from work. I will post all steps results and pictures of the process as my way of contributing to the site and helping others with the same issue

Now how do I get out of work so I can do this :twisted: :lol:

So I got my test kit when I got home and ran a full test here are the results and pic the water has a slightly greener tint then the pic suggests. So as stated above I'm certain its the metals in the water

FC = 6
PH = 7.5
TA = 250
CH = 200
CYA = 40
CC = 0
Borates = 30

Will perform FC loss test tonight

Attachments

• IMG_20120607_171958.jpg
    IMG_20120607_171958.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 181
Woke up this morning and checked pool.. = Cloudy = Oh OH! checked FC Loss and = FAIL!!! went from 6 to 4 overnight. I brought pool up to shock level before leaving for work. Just wish I had the day off to attack this think. Jobs! :evil: Well not that bad if I didn't have a job I guess I wouldn't have my pool right? I think I should be OK though as the Sun doesn't hit my pool till about an hour before I get done so hopefully It stays near shock level minimum till I get home.

Ok got home now pool is milky white

Test Results
FC = 7.5
CC = 0.5
PH = 8.2
TA = Didnt test was 250 Last night
CH = Didnt test was 200 Last night
CYA = 60
Borates = Didnt test was 30 Last night

I added 128 oz of Muriatic acid a few minutes ago. Keep at shocking process I suppose

Suziqzer said:
Yep, keep at it. You're on the right track. Do keep in mind that when your FC levels are up your Ph will not test accurately.

Thats the plan I'm on it I attacked this thing all night checking FC Levels, Vacuuming, brushing ,backwashing drinking an ice cold beverage (The best part of the shocking process)

This morning FC loss was 1.0 (Criteria 1. Overnight FC loss 1.0 or less) = Pass :goodjob:
CC Levels = 0.5 (Criteria 2. CC's 0.5 or less) = Pass :goodjob:
Water is slightly cloudy ( Criteria 3. water is clear) = Fail :grrrr:

The end result = Keep shocking almost there

ITs going to be hotter then blazes this weekend and its going to be hard pressed to keeep the kids out of the pool. What are ok swimming levels for the chlorine? Can I let them drop a bit when its hot let them swim a bit (a couple hours) Keep testing and watching my FC levels and bring them back up when they are done and continue the process? I am assuming this would be OK. I would prefer they didnt want to swim but its been hot the last 2 days and going to be wayyy hotter the next 2 and the little rascals have been so patient and helpfull with getting the pool ready for today and tomorrow it going to be awful hard to keep them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Will check pH next time FC below to 10

Another question is since I know I have high iron and maganenes in my water should I plan on putting in metal magic on a regular basis as this happens every time I fill a large quantity of water

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

And we are good to go whoop whoop... Just in the neck of time TFP and BBB successful

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1339277108805.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339277108805.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339277138513.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339277138513.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 50
  • uploadfromtaptalk1339277164561.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1339277164561.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 50
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.