Bacquacil Pool - want to convert but need help first w/mold!

Re: Bacquacil Pool - want to convert but need help first w/m

What kind of pool do you have? Depending on the type of pool it may or may not be safe to drain the pool completely.

Also, remember that you still need to go through the conversion process, though it will go far more quickly.

in-ground alum siding, w/vinyl liner - approx 8,500 gal. Pool guy who opens every year is helping & we won't be leaving the pool empty for long - draining, wiping down & filling right up again. As to conversion, we are going with chlorine & know we have to keep testing and adding since the bacqua may still be present in lines, etc., but shouldn't this now be a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks? And most importantly, shouldn't this get rid of the mold problem? Thanks.

Hayward DE Filter/1 HP superpump

And most importantly, shouldn't this get rid of the mold problem?
Probably. The chlorine will get it eventually anyway and I think the drain/refill will help but I wouldn't consider the drain/refill as the solution to the issues in your pool. I think you'll want to scrub the nooks and crannies as much as possible to get rid of as much organics as you can.

Thanks Dave S. - getting into pool w/rubber boots & gloves & wiping down w/bleach fast as possible - pool not very large - approx 10 x 24 - 4 ft average, but still should be plenty of work! I'm just hoping the chlorine level stays up quicker this way.

Can't you toss in a gallon or two of bleach into the pool before you drain? Just for our enjoyment. :)

Smart move by draining. I'm sure both time and money will be saved.

:-D No can do, but I'm trying to upload a photo of the pool in its current state - believe it or not, it's really clear. Please tell me this is a temporary result of running the filter & having added the bacqua shock on tuesday. Haven't added a things since and I'm committed to the conversion (esp. since I'm seeing some nasty looking floaters in the skimmer)

I would be interested to know what makes a pool safe to drain and what makes a pool not safe to drain. Why did your builder think it was safe to do so? As I said earlier in this thread, I probably could have saved a 100 bucks by draining and refilling during my conversion last year, but preferred not to take the chance with my 13 year old liner. Careful with bleach and rubber boots on vinyl, its very slippery!

I used to think my pool was "clear" on Bacqa too. Now that I am on chlorine my pool is a whole new level of transparent. Sometimes I look at my clear water and it makes me weep, partly because it is so beautiful, and partly because I can see every little tiny speck of dirt on the bottom through 7 1/2 feet of water.....

....sparklypoolitis indeed.

MattB said:
I would be interested to know what makes a pool safe to drain and what makes a pool not safe to drain. Why did your builder think it was safe to do so? As I said earlier in this thread, I probably could have saved a 100 bucks by draining and refilling during my conversion last year, but preferred not to take the chance with my 13 year old liner.
It is risky but since Jerry T's liner is new, briefly draining it, keeping it wet (or minimizing the time it is dry), then filling quickly might work. The danger is the liner shrinks and/or get's lots of wrinkles. Also, the base underneath could get messed up with a lot of foot traffic and no water pressure holding it in place. For your pool's liner age of 13 years, we would have recommended against it.

Well Jerry....ours was "clear" too before the swap. Just think of the cost of the baqua shock....

That's been all we've spent the last two months. :)

Thanks Leebo, makes me feel better....and Matt, will be careful; doing this w/my experienced pool guy who put the new liner in for me and we're filling it right back up w/2 hoses. My water bill for this month should be fun, but hey, anything to get rid of this mold!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Draining a vinyl liner pool, even with a new liner, is a project if you want to insure that the liner survives. The liner needs to be held in place while the water is out or reset into position right before it is refilled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.