Pool calculator is confusing ,how much bleach? Please help

Jun 16, 2011
Hi all, Please help. I had my water tested while buying a new testing kit(got a Taylor K-2005) I want to do BBB this year. Cover had holes so water is dirty with bottom sediment CYA 70 FC 0.4 TC 0.4 PH 6.8 Just opened pool and filled to level. I tried to do the pool calculator and don't really understand it. I know I will vacuum but I would think I have to shock with bleach as I just opened it and there is a yucky color to water clear on top more towards bottom water tested no algae. How much would I add? 17,200 gal 27ft ABG with a petair 1.5 cartridge filter

Re: Pool calculator is confusing ,how much bleach? Please he

Do you know your TA level? That has a large impact on what you need to do to adjust the PH. PH should be adjusted as soon as possible.

With CYA at 70, I suggest you aim for an initial FC level of 10. in 17,200 gallons that is just under 4 - 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach. Watch how your FC level behaves from there, if it falls quickly you will need to shock properly.

JasonLion said:
Do you know your TA level? That has a large impact on what you need to do to adjust the PH. PH should be adjusted as soon as possible.

With CYA at 70, I suggest you aim for an initial FC level of 10. in 17,200 gallons that is just under 4 - 96 oz jugs of 6% bleach. Watch how your FC level behaves from there, if it falls quickly you will need to shock properly.

My TA 0 and Adj TA is 0

With a TA of zero your pH is about 4.5. You need to get that TA up to about 80 immediately. And then test and adjust the pH up to about the mid 7's.

Bama Rambler said:
With a TA of zero your pH is about 4.5. You need to get that TA up to about 80 immediately. And then test and adjust the pH up to about the mid 7's.

Can I do that by adding the baking soda? and how much?

With the pH that low, I'd use pH Up (Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda) first and when the pH is closer to your desired target or at least above 7.0, then I'd use baking soda to get the TA up the rest of the way if necessary.

For a 17,000 gallon pool with a TA of zero it'll take 14 lbs of washing soda to bring the pH up to the mid 7's. I'd add 10 lbs and test again to see where you are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.