How Long is shocking process?

BCannon

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
I am going through my first shocking process. It began 3 days ago (2 overnights). In my first overnight FC test, I was up to shock level before bed. The next AM, I had lost 18ppm; Last night I lost 7.5 ppm. Meanwhile, I have been spending quite a bit of money on bleach and my trash can is full of empty bleach jugs. I'm just wondering how long this could go on before I can get into maintenance mode maintaining a much lower FC. Any guidance would be helpful. I'm still new to the forum and pool ownership. Thank you.

Well, the easy answer is it takes as long as it takes. However that is not helpful. Each pool is different and each algae outbreak is different. Most will clear in 4-7 days depending on how bad the outbreak was and how well you are able to keep the water at shock level during the process. Since most folks work and can't test and replenish chlorine every couple of hours that tends to extend the length of time it takes to clear the pool.

I feel your pain. We are restricted to 1 trash pick-up per week and that is limited to what will fit in an extra large trash can supplied by the city. While I was going through my first major shock process I started a pile of bleach bottles against the fence that we dubbed Mt Chlorox. I shared some empties with my crafty friends and took the rest (about 3 bags full of flattened bottles) to the local recycling drop off.

As much as you are spending on bleach, clearing the pool would be even more expensive using pool store products, and would potentially cause more problems in the process as well. It sounds like you are making good progress. How does the water look?

BCannon said:
water is still cloudy especially in deep end - I can see main drain, but it's foggy
one issue might be that you have to keep it above shock level. if you just raise it to shock level it immediately starts to fall so you are never actually at shock level.

Have patience. I started out with clear water almost a month ago (had visable dead algea and failed OCLTs) and am STILL in shock mode. Stick with it and do NOT let it drop under shock level - you'll be starting all over again! Definately put it a little over shock level to give yourself time between doses.

How deep is a hole?

There's no way to know in advance. It depends on how much organic crud is in the bottom, how good your filter is, how diligent you are about maintaining the level, and how gooey the green water started.

If you have a full set of test results, and your CH is low enough, you could use Cal-hypo powder as a chlorine source. Empty plastic bags take up much less space than bleach jugs.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to cure a messy nasty swamp....mine was in full shock for a month, but the last 2 weeks, my pool wasn't consuming much bleach. As you near the end of the process (when the high chlorine levels have killed off most of the algae and guk), you don't have to add as much bleach to maintain shock levels. The first week was the most difficult for me in the shock process. The last 2 weeks, I wasn't adding much bleach at all to maintain shock levels. Be patient. Seems like a lot, but when compared to how much you would have spent on chemicals/pool service.....it is way less. Your pool will be right as rain here shortly.

Thank you, Tom, for the encouragement. Do you have a recommendation about how many ppm above shock level I should try to maintain. My shock level is 20 and I've been trying to keep it there, but I have'nt been adding bleach to take me above that figure. Since I can only check and add a couple of times a day, should I shoot for 22, 25, 30?

BCannon said:
Thank you, Tom, for the encouragement. Do you have a recommendation about how many ppm above shock level I should try to maintain. My shock level is 20 and I've been trying to keep it there, but I have'nt been adding bleach to take me above that figure. Since I can only check and add a couple of times a day, should I shoot for 22, 25, 30?
If shock level is 20, and it drops to, say, 15 in 4 hours, then run it up to 25. Then 4 hours later it should be at about 20. Or whatever your numbers are.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.