How to cool an IG pool????Help!

whoozer

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 2, 2008
Acton Maine
I am in the process of designing my new pool. I have everything I want and I'm somewhat budgeted out but.... I realized I may have an issue in SC keeping the temps of my pool down. Help me please. What can I incorporate into my pool that will help with temps? Does a pool slide help to cool water at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am new at this. Thanks ALL!

Duraleigh,
My only worry is that the kids will somehow break this if I put it in after, and it just sits there in the pool. How sturdy is the pvc do you think breaking it could happen? I saw your post and thought it looks great as well as pretty :wink:

duraleigh said:
Whoozer,

The slide won't work. However, build your pool as normal and budget $10.00 in for a pool cooler....It truly works!

http://www.troublefreepools.com/viewtop ... ght=cooler

Pics aren't there anymore. Although, this same thing could be accomplished by putting a tee and valve in the return line, and using a quick couple with flex hose connected to your contraption that can easily be put in and removed. I don't have the problem of the pool overheating though.

explain

Sevver, so would it in theory more float with the flexpipe. I saw the original pics and it was a stiff pvc unit so with the flex the whole thing would just flop out of the pool when the kids are in it???

How complex is the heat pump theory and how does it cool? Are heat pumps expensive? Sorry so many questions I just meet with the builder next week and I want to have decided so there are no surprises.Thanks

I know if you put in a couple of sprayers and time your pump to run a few hours in the coolest part of the night with your sprayers on it can drop the temp several degrees. This of course depends on your night temps, humidity levels ect. It works OK here in Houston though, just my 2 cents. Plus they kind of look cool, I have 2 fan spays that have a dedicated valve and you can adjust the flow. Cheap to install as well, just a valve and a couple of small pvc lines.

Here are the quick connect couplings:

526213.jpg

From there you could go with a short piece of pump hose:

PVC_Screw_Drain___Pump_Hose.jpg

To an adapter to the PVC, the flex hose would allow you to quick couple it to say a removable cover on your deck, which would have a valve and the male part of the adapter. You could totally remove it and put it in the shed without too much trouble. This would also work with an above ground pool, as you could connect it outside to pool, use the flex hose to go over the rail, and it would not kill one of the returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
sevver
I just came onboard and was trying to figure out about cooling the water.
I have the pvc and the coupling firured out and installing it into a return line.

So what do you do with the PVC? Drill holes in it?
Can you help me picture what is the big deal in helping to cool the water at night.
Thanks
Iggy

I rember this from last year I think...

If I remember correctly, it was a length of pvc, like possibly 1 1/2 ", with a bunch of tees on it like 1", all ends were capped off, and there were a bunch of holes drilled in it. Basically it was a fountain. I don't remember how he had it float, although a couple of noodles would work.

So what do you do with the PVC? Drill holes in it?
Yep.

The concept is to spray the water into the air, and as it falls back into the pool, it cools down as some of the water evaporates. It's how the big water-cooled industrial air handling units work. They use a tower which cascades the water down slats or special honeycomb shaped panels, and blow air through it. In the case of the pool, the prototype device referred to in thie thread was a T-shaped assembly of PVC which was screwed into a pool return, and the top was perforated to allow a fan spray of water to shoot up and fall back into the pool. Pretty much any apparatus which can spray water can cool it.

Trade-offs are that the finer you can make the spray, the more cooling you get, but you lose more water to evaporation and have more overspray as the finer particles are more easily carried by wind. A mist would be coolest, but you'd blow water all over the yard when the wind is up. Larger streams are easier to control and are less affected by winds, but do not cool as much. You can make a single solid stream arc beautifully into the pool, but it won't cool down much.

A heat pump works just like an airconditioner. In fact most heatpumps look just like the outside unit of a central air system. They use a rerfigerant to absorb heat from the air and dump it into the pool. For each unit of electricity you use you typically get from 4 to 6 units of heat out. If you reverese the the process it absorbs heat from the pool and dumps it into the air - cooling the pool.

A heatpump will run you around 3 to 4 thousand dollars. They have the lowest operating cost of any heater except for solar. Further, they can cool your pool much more than any air spray system.

kirbinster said:
Further, they can cool your pool much more than any air spray system.

Don't underestimate the effectiveness of the fountain systems. A well designed fountain can get you much more cooling than a heat pump when the humidity is low. In high humidity areas fountains are much less effective. The fountains are also nice because they hardly cost anything to run. Heat pumps can use significant amounts of electricity.

If you have solar panels you can also cool by running the solar system at night.

whoozer
I just finished a pool here in Arizona. The builder added a 3/4" line off my return line at the pump with a ball valve.
It then goes to above the water line in the deck material. They added a little spray fitting that sprays water up into the air and across the pool. It almost like a wide high shower head. I would leave a picture but I have exceeded my limits here. Sorry.

Iggy in the cool part of Arizona

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.