Which Hayward Pro Grid filter do I have?

imjohn

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2012
Texas
My Hayward Pro Grid Decal lists several different models (DE2420, DE3620, DE4820, DE6020, and DE7220). None of the them is checked.
The reason I'm confused is that next to the Serial Number box is the number DE2420L, which first led me to believe I had the DE2420 filter. However, I checked the vertical measurement (A) and it is 52" which would be the DE7220.
Which one should I go by? I would think the vertical measurement would take precedence, but I want to be sure.
I plan on ordering a new filter cluster, mine are getting a wee bit ragged, and I don't want to order the wrong set.

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated,

John

The physical measurement is the thing to go by.

If you measured 52" from the manual relief valve to the bottom of the base, you have a 7220. Much bigger than you originally thought.

When you remove the grids they should have a part number on them and it corresponds to the filter size. i.e. DEX2400xx, DEX7200xx, etc.

I had the same problem.

It was easy enough to figure out the first time I cleaned it. After backwashing, I opened it up to inspect the grids and clean them, and while it was open, I measured the height of the grids. Then it was easy to compare it with the parts list and get the model.

Some day you'll want to do a thorough cleaning yourself, just so you know your clean filter pressure.

Thanks Dave & Richard,

I have been cleaning them myself, but didn't pay attention to the filter part number or measure them while it was open. I just cleaned them and put it all back together. I noticed last cleaning that the pressure didn't return to normal and was still a little high even though I gave them a thorough cleaning . . . I thought.

Now I feel confident in ordering the cluster. Hope that cures the high pressure. I replaced the filter pump a couple of months ago, when the old one failed. The pressure remained the same as before, as expected.

Thanks again,

John

If the issue is high pressure and not DE leaking back into the pool, you may just need to soak the grids in TSP solution and maybe an acid bath to remove all oils and scale. I recently did mine and saw about 4 lb drop in clean pressure. What pump do you have and what are you calling high pressure?

The pressure reading is about 6 psi higher than normal. That's right after I cleaned the filters.

I used an acid bath last cleaning and they looked real clean. Just the high pressure issue.

I have noticed some dirt in the pool that could be DE leakage. I thought it was just due to high winds that we've been having, picking up sand.

I would assume that DE leakage would be from one or more failed filters, is that correct ???

It could be filter grids failing. It could also be the manifold on top of the grids failing. This is not uncommon. When you open it up, look closely at the manifold for cracks. Also look at the air thinggy (the finger) at the top to make sure there is no a rip there. Sometimes you can find the leak from the offending grid by carefully examining each one for a tear in the fabric. Finally, it could be that the last time you put them together they did not seat quite right and there is some leakage at the top of the grids. This happened to me once when I wasn't careful.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.