Just discovered this site and looking to start BBB

G

Hi, I just stumbled on this site while playing with Tapatalk and goes in well with me depending less and less on the pool store. I bought my house which came with a pool a few years ago and really could've used this site but learned everything the hard way. And from the looks of it still have a lot to learn.

I don't have a test kit yet, since I'm in Canada I'll have to order the K-2006 which is pretty expensive but thinking I'll still run ahead. I opened my pool 4 days ago and took a water sample in to my pool store yesterday, the results they gave me are

FC -0.5
CC - They didn't say
pH - 7.8
TA - 90
CH - 130
CYA (Listed as Stabilizer) - 0

All I've done so far is add about a gallon of 12% chlorine to clear it up, was told to just keep checking my chlorine daily and keep adding as needed. For after it gets clear, didn't buy anything yet but here's what they told me to do,
5kg of Buffer
6kg of Calcium Up
2.5kg of Stabilizer

Now I'm considering doing things the BBB way, but aside from the baking soda instead of the buffer I'm not sure where anything else fits in? All I have at the moment to test with is a basic test kit for chlorine and ph level and test strips. not sure if it's good enough but thought I'd mention it. Any help would be apreciated,

Thanks in advance,
-Joel

The first thing you need to do other than ordering a test kit is to get your CYA up to 30. Have you checked the Pool Calculator to see if 2.5kg stabilizer will get you there for 29k gallons?

Disclaimer, I've had a pool for 2 weeks so clearly I'm an expert. ;)

You won't be able to maintain an FC level until you get the CYA level up. Adding CYA/cyanuric acid is a very good idea.

CH (calcium) is not required for a vinyl liner pool (except sometimes due to heater warranty issues). I would not bother with adding calcium.

You want TA higher (buffer) only if you are going to be using trichlor tablets. If you follow our advice and use bleach/liquid chlorine then TA is great where it is.

Thanks Hub and Jason, guess it was about time I used my computer to access the pool calculator, hadn't noticed all the options when I looked at it on my phone. If I add that much buffer it will bring my CYA up by 54, which seems like a lot, so thinking I'll add 4.25kg (150oz) of stabilizer which says will bring it up by 39 so that could bring me right in the middle of where my CYA should be. You answered my next question about the Calcium, since I read on the site that it didn't matter for vinyl, guess it's just a way to sell more chemicals.

The water has cleared up a lot in the last few days, not where I want it to be yet so I should add CYA even before it clears up? Just making sure cause they told me I shouldn't. If so I'll stop and buy the stabilizer today and put it in tonight when I get home from work. So your method doesn't use trichlor tablets at all then, so you just put liquid chlorine in it to bring the levels up? I'm gonna reread your guide since it does seem like a change from what I've been doing.

Ok thanks again, going to look into getting a test kit today and will either buy or order today, depending if I can find one locally.
-Joel

Yes, I would add the CYA immediately and get it into the 30-40 ppm range. Just double check to make sure the amount is correct. From there the calculator is telling me your FC will go up 1 ppm per every 60 oz of 6% bleach you add. You'll want that FC to stay in the 2-7 range in perpetuity so I would add enough bleach to get it to at least 5 immediately also.

Whether you need to do a proper shock and get the FC up to 12 for a few days or not I don't know. If your water is already clearing up then maybe you don't.

Thanks Hub, tonight I did a chlorine test and it was still showing up as 0 so decided to vacuum it, add the stabilizer and decided to add enough bleach to be at around 12. Will check again tomorrow to see where I'm at.

After checking around at a few pool stores for a Taylor K2006 I decided to order it from Piscine Apolo since they were about half the price, well then the 1 store that actually knew what that kit was. They're out of stock but expect to have some in about 10 days so will need to depend on the pool store for water tests in the meantime.

So borax is only used to bring my ph up? If that's the case i don't have to worry about finding any right away.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

after adding a bit to much stabilizer my levels are now
FC 23
CC 0
TA 100
PH 7.5
CYA 60

I've been vacuuming every evening and the water's dark blue and doesn't want to clear up. still cloudy and can't see the bottom on the deep end. Do i have to drain to get cya down or do i have other options to clear it up? So far my plan is just to keep adding 12% chlorine and brushing/vacuuming.

I've been vacuuming every evening and the water's dark blue and doesn't want to clear up.
YOu may have to hold FC at shock value for more than a week to get it clear.

Read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School

To reduce CYA you must drain/refill about 25% of your water....that should get it around 45ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, will keep chlorine up for as long as it takes to clear up. I knew I'd have to drain about a quarter to bring CYA down but was wondering if i had to at this point or it could wait until i have a bit more time.

I've been watching the filter and back washing when necessary, i don't have a pic right now but can take one when i get home tonight.

Thanks for the quick replies,
-Joel

ce2f4e96-cc52-cb29.jpg

I've been looking at that chart and trying to keep my chlorine up there. This is a picture of the pool water from tonight, looks a bit clearer then yesterday at least.

I just want to say thanks to everyone that helped, it took a few more days after I posted that pic but the end result was the clearest I've ever seen my pool and that was before I got my test kit. I've been very busy building my new fence around the pool area so got around to using it last week. I'm hoping I did all the test right, results were
FC 5
CC 0
PH 7.6 (Really having a hard time seing the color difference between 7.6-7.8)
TA 100 Do you keep putting drops in until it just starts turning red or until the sample turns really red?
CYA ? I looked at the dot from the very top of the glass and could still see it but it was very blury right at the top. Does that mean it's under 30? Because I was at 60 last time it was checked at the pool store and I know I did drain the pool a little bit and refill and we got lots of rain the last week but would it be enough to bring it down that much? I tried it twice.

Those results were with a Taylor k2006 test kit.

Thanks again, the only disadvantage of having water this clear is that I have to vacuum it more often from seing the dirt right away on the bottom. Have a great weekend.
-Joel

The TA test stops when the color stops changing and you need to subtract the last drop. Mine usually turns red on the 9th drop, then turns bright red on the 10th drop, adding the 11th drop I get no change in color, my TA is considered 100.

Trust your CYA results and consider it under 30. Pool stores often get the CYA test wrong. If you notice you are using too much chlorine add some CYA to bump it up about 15ppm and check your CYA a week after bumping it up. It is easy to add but a pain to lower.

If you add cya to get from 30 to 45, assume it is at 45 for purposes of the Chlorine/CYA Chart once it is dissolved. It may not show up on a test for a week, however.

Great job on the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.